ReefCleaners.org

Lighting Cycle

Scuba

I just started up a 6 gallon eclipse system with 32-watt power compacts. I started with 12 lbs of uncured live rock and 3 lbs of live sand. The tank is currently cycling. I've been a hobbyist for over 10 years now, but this is my first attempt at having a dedicated reef tank. My question is whether or not the timing of the lights should be in tune with the sun. My tank is near a large window where it is hit by sunshine in the morning. My lights don't come on until late in the afternoon and remain on for 9 hours. This question got sparked by a thread I read about the ph being lower in the morning and raising throughout the day. Is morning in a fish tank when the lights come on or when the sun comes up? I apologize if I am over-analyzing the situation.

You are overanalyzing the situation. Although, with daylight + nine hours of tank lights your likely to get a lot of algae growth. I'd personally either run the tank lights while the sun is up but ideallty you'd like to shade the sun.

Cameron

A few hours of sun can be ok and has been recommended by people like Anthony Calfo. Watch out for temperature fluctuations and an algae explosion if your water quality is less than perfect.

Thanks for the help. I'll change the timer and see if I can shade it somehow. I don't have any algae growth yet, but I am know it will explode at some point. Thanks again.

Archived