Top Shelf Aquatics

Iodine/Iodide/Iodate, dosing and testing?

toddsnanoreef

toddsnanoreef

I've been dosing my medium-livestock-loaded NC24 every week with 1 drop per week of Lugol's Solution for the last year but here's my test results using the Salifert Profi Tests:

7/05: Iodide = > 0.03 ppm; Iodate & Iodine = > 0.00 ppm

10/05: Iodide = > 0.03 ppm; Iodate & Iodine = < 0.01 ppm

3/06: Iodide = ~0.08 ppm; Iodate & Iodine < 0.01 ppm

5/06: Iodide = ~0.08 ppm; Iodate & Iodine ~0.0 ppm

My understanding (from the Profi test instructions) is that NSW is as follows:

• 0.02-0.03 ppm Iodide
  • 0.03-0.04 ppm Iodate & molecular Iodine

I know those aren't really frequent tests, but the results just don't seem as expected. The only other thing I dose is Kent Tech*CB (A&B).

Otherwise, my tank seems to be going fairly well, as I have to trade-off a half dozen stalks of pulsing Xenia every month so it doesn't take over my tank. On the other hand, I've had some difficulties as I've lost two Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) and a Porcelain Anemone crab (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai) over the last year.

Any ideas on testing? Dosing?

do you know what killed the crustys? were they deformed, exoskeleton-wise?

do you have a lot of algae (specifically browns and reds)? they will suck up iodine like clams/coralline suck up ca/alk.

your dosing sounds about right (for those that dose lugols). are you feeding the tank anything else? i.e. fish food/flakes, algae/nori, etc. they can introduce more iodine into the system if that's what you desire.

i've always suspected (and i think others have as well), some type of relationship between iodine (specifically methyl iodide, i believe) and xenia. i think the relationship is partly a possible bacteriovore aspect of xenia besides their photosynthetic nature. but i can't tell if the methyl iodide is a product or a feedstock source for that relationship (if it even is that or participates).

of course, all this is wild speculation on my part. ain't the internet great?! :lol:

never tested for iodine though, so i can't really help you there. i've always thought/heard that the consumer available test kits for that were questionable though.

toddsnanoreef
do you know what killed the crustys? were they deformed, exoskeleton-wise?

Dunno - my "clean-up" crew (planned, or otherwise...) are too efficient and I'm luckily if I find anything. I know the Cleaner shrimp molted at least a couple times.

do you have a lot of algae (specifically browns and reds)? they will suck up iodine like clams/coralline suck up ca/alk.

I have a bunch of brown Kelp/Sargassum that grows and grows, I figure its a pretty good nutrient sink and its easy to cull. I also have patches of Bryopsis and Gelidium I try to keep under control.

your dosing sounds about right (for those that dose lugols). are you feeding the tank anything else? i.e. fish food/flakes, algae/nori, etc. they can introduce more iodine into the system if that's what you desire.

Twice-weekly:

1 1/2 "feeder fish" by California All Natural Pet Foods

1 drop of LiquidLife's MarinePlankton (made with Cyclop-eeze)

1/2 cap-fulls of DT'S LIVE Marine Phytoplankton

~1/10th tsp DT's Natural Reef Diet (Oyster Eggs)

And occasionally a pinch or two of Aquatrol Spirulina 20 flakes.

i've always suspected (and i think others have as well), some type of relationship between iodine (specifically methyl iodide, i believe) and xenia. i think the relationship is partly a possible bacteriovore aspect of xenia besides their photosynthetic nature. but i can't tell if the methyl iodide is a product or a feedstock source for that relationship (if it even is that or participates).

of course, all this is wild speculation on my part. ain't the internet great?! :lol:

Wow! It must be true - I read it on the 'net ;)

Being a high-growth soft coral I would imagine they consume a lot of Iod*** (which-ever, I'm sure not a chemist).

never tested for iodine though, so i can't really help you there. i've always thought/heard that the consumer available test kits for that were questionable though.

True, but the Salifert seems to get the most recommendations.

Thanks

Archived