ReefCleaners.org

High Temps...

PaNo617

Now that the weather is getting warmer so is my NC6 obviously. I have Central AC in my house, but my computer room where my tank is doesn't have a vent, the way the ceiling is theres no way to have one put there, but when the AC is running it does keep it kind of cool coming from the kitchen, but not enough to keep the temps on my tank down to where they should be.

Yesturday it was about 71° here and my tank temp was at at 82.9. Usually my temp stays at around 80.0-80.7. I keep the heater at 79°. If temps get up to 85+ i can only imagine what my temps would climp up too. If i see that my temps are getting worse, i'll have to move the tank into another room. Unless anyone knows of an affordable chiller?...if they even make one for a NC6

Now that the weather is getting warmer so is my NC6 obviously. I have Central AC in my house, but my computer room where my tank is doesn't have a vent, the way the ceiling is theres no way to have one put there, but when the AC is running it does keep it kind of cool coming from the kitchen, but not enough to keep the temps on my tank down to where they should be.

Yesturday it was about 71° here and my tank temp was at at 82.9. Usually my temp stays at around 80.0-80.7. I keep the heater at 79°. If temps get up to 85+ i can only imagine what my temps would climp up too. If i see that my temps are getting worse, i'll have to move the tank into another room. Unless anyone knows of an affordable chiller?...if they even make one for a NC6

Chris at Nanocustoms makes the ICA which is made for the nanocubes. That should do the job for ya.

Bob

Chris at Nanocustoms makes the ICA which is made for the nanocubes. That should do the job for ya.

Bob

Thanks man. I went on the site and i only saw it for the 12g and the 24g. I sent them an email...

I've been running my ICA chiller from nano customs for a few weeks now, 24 hours a day, and my temps are still out of control. I hit 87 by the time I get home from work. To be honest I don't know if the chiller is helping me out at all. Not sure if the heat is coming from my pumps, lights or just the overall room temp, but I need to figure out another method.

Chad

NY11, what is the average room temp?

One thing you might try is a reverse light cycle. People do this a lot with dart frogs in high temperature areas. Have the lights on at night when the room is cooler, and off during the day.

I've been running my ICA chiller from nano customs for a few weeks now, 24 hours a day, and my temps are still out of control. I hit 87 by the time I get home from work. To be honest I don't know if the chiller is helping me out at all. Not sure if the heat is coming from my pumps, lights or just the overall room temp, but I need to figure out another method.

Chad

87°...and you're running a chiller? Thats pretty hot...is the chiller even working. I don't know much about them, but that doesnt seem right. Were your temps higher before?

Definitely sounds like that particular chiller is defective or there’s another issue that’s being overlooked. You should definitely contact Chris; he provides great customer service and should be able to address this issue.

I just posted a response on this same section addressing yet another 6g NCer that’s having the same problem as we all seem to be sharing. The last I heard, back in March, the chiller was scheduled for release sometime in April or I guess as late as the beginning of May. I would recommend contacting Chris just to get a new ETA and post your finding.

I can't blame all my problems on the chiller. My tank is only 12 gallons with 70 watt halide and 48 watts of PC's. I also have two maxi-jet 900's running. The chiller definetely gets cold when I test it, but I haven't seen much of a difference in temperature when running with or without the chiller. I guess I just expected more cooling power than what it's able to do. I have found that lowering the room temperature seems to be the best solution so far.

reeferchad
what is the ambient temperature in your room?

i have having the same problem you can check my thread in the lightning forum under temerature. i have been running my 150w halide for a week now and i it 87 degrees and my fish are history rip my lil buddies .

My room temp stays around 80 while I'm at work...cooler at night when I turn the AC down. I have been doing various experiments trying to eliminate variables and figure out what is causing so much heat. Obviously leaving the halide off for the day helps, but that defeats the purpose of me having it. I have even left the pumps off for the day with the lights still on, and the heat still gets really high. I think keeping the room cooler will be my only option. I am planning on hooking up at 12V adapter to the ICA chiller to try and pull a little more heat from the water rather than using the 8.4V it came with.

Chad

supersecretshinto

You never mentioned what fans your hood has in it. Maybe get some better ones because lighting is your prime suspect. Turn the heater off to see if it is the culprit, but I bet your hood fans are woefully inadiquate. Also, just for fun, check how warm your pumps feel after they've been running a while. A coil in one of them may be going bad and geting hot.

I'm running 4 fans in my hood. I replaced the stock fan with a new computer fan that pushes more CFM, and I have that blowing out. I also have two of the same 60mm fans mounted on each of the vent holes. One pushes in and the other pulls out. The fourth fan spot is where the ICA is connected. I feel like the air flow through my hood is pretty good. The hood is cool to the touch, and even the glass below the metal halide is hot, but not enough to burn your fingers. Maybe I need to figure out another way to add another fan or two.

I used Artarmons thread on installing the 70 watt halide...with a few of my own modifications. I did however leave the blower fan off that exhausts the air between the splash shield glass and the water. Didn't want to have to cut into the back of my hood. Looks like it might be necessary in order to keep my water cool.

Also, my pumps are brand new, so hopefully they don't have problems already....but I'll check them just in case. And I haven't been running a heater.

Chad

WarDamnEagle18

What size fans are in a stock 24GDX NC hood? Are there better ones I can get to replace them??? This would be good because I live in Alabama and it gots too hot. I run my AC at 69 to keep my tank around 80-81.

Archived