SaltCritters.com

very new --- "specific" question on lighting

Stew

:blush:

does anyone have any info to guide me.....

for a 20g that will be loaded with lr and many corals....

will a Custom Sea Life Power Quad Pendant with 1x96W Power Quad SmartLamp be sufficient?

I almost swallowed my teeth when i saw the prices for the mh/pc fixtures/kits/etc.

Thanks to all peeps!! sorry for the question if it is a "DUH!" question!!!

i used to keep a 70g reef 12 years ago. i ran 8 48" tubes actinic and daylights 50/50 nd my tank was out of this world.

This nano stuff and newer lighting confuses me!!

Again....thanks!!!

You really aren't specific enough.

What KINDs of coral you plan on keeping dictates what sort of light you want to use.

I recommend that you search for '20g' 'light' and the name of the coral you want to keep. Also, look at 'members reefs' and see if any of them are similar to what you want to do, and if so, what kind of corals and lights they have.

I'm not trying to be mean, this isn't 'STFUARTFM' or anything, but truly, without a comprehensive list of the corals you intend to keep, it's impossible to make a lighting and powerhead recommendation.

Ratty

hi stew :)

if you're feeling handy with the saw and sandpaper, you can always build your own pendent case and throw in a hellolights retrofit 96w quad light

here's a link:

http://www.hellolights.com/185cfquadret.html

you say you're planning on a 20g tank? you might also consider multiples of 55w or 65w straight PC bulbs in either a complete hood type deal (jbj, psl) or (again ;)) retrofits (hellolights, ahsupply). hope this helps :)

welcome back to SW, but more importantly, welcome to the nano-world. good luck :D

well, i don't have a real good idea what "kinds" of corals i might end up with.

while I am attempting to have some sort of plan i want to follow...i haven't actually figured it that far out yet.

I don't even know I i will be able to plan for that.

it will probably be more of an approach that I see something i like--i buy it.

I do really appreciate the pointers about the web sites.

believe i will build my own. my 70 hood is home-built and it has been lasting since 1987.

keep in touch -- i will be reading!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

also, look at hellolights.com for the magnetic ballast probe start and pulse start MH retrofit kits. they are super cheap ($70 w/o bulb) and should be in your range.

Originally posted by WhiteRat

this isn't 'STFUARTFM' or anything

OK!! forgot this last night......

I spent many years in military/gov't business and last 15 working in Info Tech.....I know thousands of "TLA's"

But -- that what you wrote---- Plumb escapes me!!!!!!

I hope it ain't a shot or anything!!!!!

:D :D :D

That's 'Shut The **** Up And Read The ****ing Manual'.

You will end up with a much happier tank and a much happier wallet in the long run if you study what sorts of corals you find attractive, and find out which can live together under the same lights/current, as opposed to which will try to kill each other.

Impulse buying will quickly get you a great deal of experience in fishing out dead things and making lots of water changes to save the rest of your tank, IMHO.

If you don't want to read the books, look at other member's tanks. Look for tanks that have corals you like in them. See if all those corals can be found in one tank. If so, you're probably golden. If not, then just check on the ones that don't seem to 'fit'.

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

Thanks for the advice. I will use it and i appreciate .

I am new to this nano stuff. i don't know but i have to imagine there is so much more to it than what i have learned and experienced in several years of large mini-reef keeping. My 70 was one of the nicest you could imagine.

But -- it has been a while -- and like all things.......particulars change and more knowledge is gained across the hobby in general.

Again, Thanks for the time you took to help me learn.

Also--i know i have MUCH reading to do!!!!

I have one of the 96 w powerquad pendants I got used. Came with a white bulb, I think Hellolights has a 50/50 bulb available now. This pendant will replace my 2x 27watt on my 18 gal as soon as I can hang it. PCs are a good compromise and I think on a 20 (long or high?) it would be ok for most softies , maybe a monti or two near the top? The 20l the problem you'd have is possibly incomplete covereage towards side of tank but the shallow depth might make it more useful for keeping more light hungry corals or maybe a squamosa.

If you are handy then a Halide bulb/reflector/ballast combo can be had cheap used and then build a decent wooden canopy around it (put fans in :) ) . I briefly had a 250w MH over my cube but didn't have space to move it where it would work the best and it was hell on the acrylic top of my tank. If you go MH you are going to need to get either a pendant or make a tall canopy (check out denikgrooves tank in members section he has a MH in a tall custom canopy).

Have fun.

Archived