Pod Your Reef

pH swing, how to correct

non-photosynt

non-photosynt

It seems that pH questions are answered on this forum. What are emergency measures to correct fast pH changes, other than water changes?

I bought a bottle of AragaMilk (daily Ca+kH supplement), where is written: check pH 2hrs after adding it to the tank water, correct if necessary. How? What I could find - slow increasing of alkalinity in case of slow pH changes within usual limits (7.8-8.5). If pH goes up to 8.7 and tank invertebrates started to react, what to do?

I found excellent article of correction calcium and alkalinity problems, but nothing about pH. Any links?

vinegar will likely be the most readily available acid to depress a high pH (try looking up 'kalk/vinegar'). although i'd let it settle down on its own if it's 8.7 unless things are puking up.

if so, waterchange. when in doubt, waterchange it out.

another suggestion i've heard used (never tried it) is club soda. a tip from a old timer but i'd be really hesitant to try it. the concept is the CO2 being released should drive the pH down from the carbonic acid being generated along side the CO2 (kinda like coca-cola being acidic, i guess). hth

non-photosynt
vinegar will likely be the most readily available acid to depress a high pH (try looking up 'kalk/vinegar'). although i'd let it settle down on its own if it's 8.7 unless things are puking up.

if so, waterchange. when in doubt, waterchange it out.

When I had this swing to pH 8.7 - noticed when anemone reacted, tried vinegar (4 drops/10 gal) - pH dropped to 8.2 in a few min, but in 10-15 min returned back. Then I did water change.

Still curious: there are so mach information about correcting kH and Ca, different solutions for 4 basic combinations (High kH+ hight Ca, low kH+ low Ca, high kH+ low Ca, low kH+ high Ca), but nothing about ph, at least not so readily findable.

Thanks.

check randy holmes-farley's articles on pH, kalk, two-part solutions, etc. imo, he's the source of information on that.

i actually just read an article of his on this last night (i'll try to find the link for you later) but he also notes vinegar and seltzer water/club soda as possible pH depressors. he also noted aeration as another option (depending on ambient atmospheric conditions). CO2/carbonic acid is basically the acidic means to depress pH in the seltzer soda/aeration methods though.

rhf also first recommends waterchanges though. it's really the safest way to control levels.

Archived