inTank Media Baskets

ISPF feedback

Rook

This company has the worst customer service I have encountered. They obviously do not care about their customer’s satisfaction.

I attempted to purchase a 9 for $99 detritivore inoculation kit from IPSF, and even though I never received the shipment (due to a FedEx mistake) IPSF refuses to refund my money.

After talking to IPSF a few time via email to clarify some question I had, I finally placed an order (via email and credit card on an answering machine) on Tuesday, February 4, 2003. In that order request I add very specific order instructions.

“PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MUST BE DELIVERED ON FEBRUARY 8TH 2003. DELIVERIES AT

A TIME OTHER THAN THIS DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AS I WILL NOT BE AROUND TO

RECEIVE IT AND ACCLIMATE THE ANIMALS PROPERLY”

“I need the items delivered to me on Saturday, February 8th, 2003. THIS IS A MUST. I will not be available to accept the delivery at any other time. Therefore, if this cannot be meet please inform me and I will need to reschedule this.”

Saturday delivery requires an additional $10 premium shipping charge.

On Wednesday, February 5th, 2003, Gerald Heslinga from IPSF responded back to my request stating:

“Thanks Jeremy - we'll arrange for Sat delivery as requested - shipping

details and invoice will be e-mailed out tonight.”

I want to specifically note the language “we’ll arrange for Sat delivery as requested.”

On Thursday, February 6th, 2003, Gerald again emailed me and confirmed that the shipment was sent out that day, and later sent me the FedEx Tracking number.

Well Saturday, February 8th came and my package was supposed to be delivered. But, noon came and passed with not delivery. I promptly called FedEx to inquire about the shipment. They informed me that they made a mistake and the package was still in Oakland California. I informed them that the package contained live animals and was likely to die prior to finally ending up in Michigan. The representative then said she would contact the seller (IPSF) and arrange for a claim to be made against the lost package. She also instructed that I contact the shipper (IPSF) and inform them that the FedEx messed up the shipment and therefore either a new shipment or a credit of my account would need to be made.

Still on Saturday and shortly after speaking with FedEx, I email IPSF and informed them of the problem. To my dismay, this is the response I received from IPSF.

“Thank you for the note re: the status of your shipment. Sorry to hear of the delay, which evidently was related to a mechanical problem at the Fedex Oakland station. Our Live Arrival Guarantee requires that late boxes be accepted when delivered. In your case many of the invertebrates will still be viable (today) Monday. If the box is not accepted when delivered, Fedex will ship the box back to us at our expense. As noted on our website, this voids our Guarantee because it compounds our expense while dooming the organisms to certain death on the return leg to Hawaii. Also, unless the box is accepted when delivered and an earnest attempt made to acclimate the organisms, there is no factual basis for a DOA claim by the customer because the organisms were not at any time seen by the customer.”

So despite the fact that they recognized that FedEx made the mistake, and the fact that I expressly required Saturday shipment, they were not going to refund my money. But, I decided to call FedEx to see if the package would be delivered on Monday. They told me no, I could not get the package because it contained live animals that were expected to be dead, and the package was being sent back to the shipper.

I again informed IPSF of this situation and told them that I should not bear the price of a mistake by FedEx, particularly when FedEx openly admits responsibility. They again denied my relief.

Obviously IPSF does not care about its customers or their satisfaction. I have contacted my credit card company and they agree with me. They are starting a charge back against IPSF. I am also filing a complaint with the Michigan and U.S. Attorney General’s offices.

While I cannot comment on the product that IPSF sells (since I never had the chance to see it) I can strongly advise to not purchase from them. Even if they do have a good product, it is a roll of the dice on whether you will get the product. If you do not, I hope they don’t treat you the way they are treating me.

Despite the fact that IPSF will surely file a claim and be refunded by FedEx (who admits responsibility) they are still charging me. Thus, they are being paid twice for one product. I think this companies morals and service are disgusting and we as consumers need to let them know that we will not tolerate it.

If anyone else has had poor experiences with IPSF please write it here and let everyone know.

Sorry for the length.

Rook

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. But, IPSF's policy seems pretty reasonable to me. They are using a reliable overnight company and they are providing a way for you to get your money back for the critters that didn't make it due to the shipping company's errors.

I don't understand why you are so bent out of shape about the "we’ll arrange for Sat delivery as requested” statment. It appears that they did arrange for Saturday delivery.

It also sounds like you told Fedex you would not accept the package when you called on Saturday. Otherwise, why would IPSF think that delivery was refused?

I've never used IPSF nor am I affiliated with them. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

If your schedule is to rigid and cannot accommodate a problem like this, it just sounds like you shouldn't be dealing with mail order companies.

I've used IPSF.com several times and I've had no problems. They have actually always given me what I wanted, or more, and everything has always come in perfect condition. I've had my fair share of shipping problems and I've almost always had the problem fixed (hell, premium aquatics once sent a $300 order to my office on a Saturday by accident and they immediately reshipped for the next saturday and they told me to keep the stuff that arrived again on Monday and if anything lived, I could keep it free of charge). I agree that ipsf could have handled this better. They aren't going to be paid twice for the goods. Your credit card company will not pay them but Fed Ex will reimburse them for the snafu so they will get their money back and you won't be charged.

Everyone has, at one time or another, been screwed by a shipping foul up. Sadly, this one is causing you more of a headache than it should.

Christopher Marks

Please read the forum rules when posting feedback on a vendor. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=5968

Sorry to hear about your loss. I however feel that it was not ISPF's fault in anyway. I understand that you could not recieve the package on Monday, however it would have cost ISPF even more money when the box got returned to them completly dead. I guess this can be a lesson to everyone to read all livestock vendor's terms of sale, and plan for shipping problems.

I think I need to point out a few details.

1) I did not refuse the shippment. Was I not supposed to call FedEx and inform them the package did not show up? Was I wrong telling them the contents? FedEx took it on their own to to reroute the shippment. FedEx addmitted responsiblity and assumed the liability.

Thus, under IPSF's own policy, I should get a refund or reship.

2) The agreement between IPSF and myself was (as stated above) for Saturday shipping only. If this could not be met, or if IPSF was unwilling to back it up, they should not have agreed to it. knowing my schedule, I made this request very explicit. They agreed, and should back it up.

Thus under this new agreement between IPSF an myself, I should get a refund or reship.

that is all there is to it. FedEx messed up. I want to point that out very clearly. Not IPSF. But, FedEx is the agent of IPSF during this process, thus, I get relief from IPSF, and IPSF gets relief from FedEx.

As and update, after many discussions with IPSF, they have had a change of heart and decided to work with me on a reship. I have agreed to try to work it out with them and have full confidence that we will resolve it without any need chargebacks or other actions. If this does happens, I will hold no grudges with IPSF. All I ever wanted here was the producted I have heard so much about. I put a special condition on the order that IPSF agreed to. FedEx messed it up. Obviously others have had no problems with IPSF, thus no one should base their decision to deal with IPSF solely on my experience.

Admin: If you feel this thread should be deleted or locked, feel free to do so. I feel I have stated only the facts, and I am not hear to start a debate about what happened. I just wanted to post my experiance to share it with others.

I think Chris's concern is that he doesn't want the threads to become a home for negativity in regards to merchants. Sadly, these merchants can see the same negative posts and, rather than work to correct their problems, they might take it upon themselves to go after the complainers, as well as the owner of this site. Aquacon did something like that with members at reefcentral.

Again, I agree that ipsf handled matters extremely poorly but, upon hearing your update, it is clear that they are trying to work things out. Hopefully, you'll get everything alive and well this time around.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, a few weeks have passed. If IPSF did come through for you, it would probably behoove you to say so publicly, here.

If for whatever reason you called off the 'second deal' and let the credit agency, Fedex, and IPSF settle it, then again, probably best not to leave it hanging.

It seems to me a matter of fairness that you do follow up on this post.

And no, I'm not now, nor have I ever been an IPSF employee. I only dealt with them once and loved what I got, had no problems.

I'm just a guy who believes that online forums for vendors should be equitable and report all the facts...Including if you did come to a resolution.

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

Yes, IPSF did finally send out a new shippment. FedEx again messed up the shippment but I was able to get it worked out with FedEx and everything in the end worked out.

Hey Rook,

oh, that's soooo cool to say...

How's about sending an email to IPSF, thanking them for the follow-up and sending them the thread as an attachment. You see, White Rat brings a good point - equal time for gripes as well as follow through. This ain't the movies - the credits don't roll and we all pack up into the car and drive home...life goes on w/ questions and leap-o-faith decisions and a venue to demand follow up.

This way, IPSF will know that they should reconsider FedEx as the last impression of their conduct of business. I think that'll solve or at least address any further problems. Please keep in mind, shipping from Hawaii is a BIG DEAL - a makeorbreak. Overnight Express Delivery pricing to/from HI is an automatic "Two Day Air" to anywhere but certain metros in CA/WA/OR/NV. It's a VERY big issue for anyone dealing w/ live/immediate goods from this state and they damn well should make your next order a more life-maintaining experience. They'll appreciate the feedback - maybe send you some hermaphrodite, erectile-wielding slugs for the info.

John

I have already responded to IPSF. When I received the shippment I send them an email telling them everything worked out, and telling them the second FedEx mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

I am glad everything worked out in the end. I have purchased many things from IPSF over the last two years or so, and have never had a problem. Sounds like you are in the Bay Area, I'm in San Francisco.

I have had Fed-Ex screw up non fish related items before. I have had things get mis-directed.

Archived