ReefCleaners.org

Is Carib-Sea's New Aragamax Oolitic Select good for Sand-Bed?

RLiu818

I am having trouble finding the normal Carib-Sea Aragonite but one local shop carries this "New! Aragamax Oolitic Select" also by Carib-Sea. The smaller and larger grain sizes have been filtered out so this mix contains more similar sized grains.

Carib-Sea's normal araganite contains 0.2-1.2mm diameter grain size while their New! Aragamax Oolitic Select contains 0.5-1.02 mm grain size.

I want to know if this New! Aragamax Oolitic Select can be used for a DSB in my Nano.

By DSB i mean, 2" inches.

From their Site:

0.5-1.02 mm grain size. A Breakthrough! This uniformly graded oolitic aragonite not only provides nitrate reduction in shallower beds but also has an increase in pore water space which allows maximum diffusion rates of minerals and trace elements. The only oolite product suitable for plenum systems. Product #00932 (30lb.)

hmmmm I dont know all I can say is I hate olithic sand! When my hermit fall off a rock or farts he creates a sand storm! I had to finally mix in some thicker stuff to keep it down.

If your LFS has sand in pals feel them and go with the one size larger than olithic. Looks the same but when you have it in your hand you can see each grain with olithic its more like powder.

just my .02

That's the sand I used when I started my 20g..

If you get it, I think you should definitely rinse the sand as the bag says.

I didn't bother to rinse the sand, and that was a big mistake..., theres tons of "dust" in it, which blows everywhere easily...it does settle back down in ~10mins or so, but then you have to blow it off the rocks and corals & then wait for it to settle again...

I bought some of that "live sand" in a bag, which I put over it...but I think I'll remove it, as its ugly and yellow compared to the original sand :P

There is no way that stuff settled in 10 mins! More like a day or two! In large tanks it can take a week!

You cant rinse olithic sand well you can try but youll have to rinse about 80% of it away before the water has any clarity. Olithic sand is like that fine powder your refering to, just imagine a whole bag of it!! :x

I think you ended up with the kind Im suggesting

P.S.

Yeah that "live" stuff in a bag is definitely yellowish

Archived