SaltCritters.com

Some really dumb questions...don't hate me!

caja

Hey there everyone...just sucking up a bit before I post these really dumb questions!

I've got a Tetra test Laborette test kit that test for ammonia, pH, Kh and nitrites. How do I test for nitrates? Is there a separate test?

I see people posting about their live rock and live sand and all the cool critters in theirs. I've got none in mine...did I get ripped off?

My tank has been up and running for over a month now...no algae bloom. Just some red algae grwoing on two of my more recent live rock purchases. If I put some snails/hermits and crabs in there what will they eat?

6 Gallon Eclipse

12 pounds LS

12 pounds LR

no creatures yet

Yeah, seperate test kits exist for nitrates.

Ddon't worry about apparent hitchikers, they can be good and bad. I bet if you looked you'll notice atleast a feather duster or two. Has the tank been running for a month with the lights? What type of lights?

Spudds.

You will have to buy the nitrate test seperately as that kit doesn't come with.

Your live rock could have been out of water and in an extreme environment for extended periods. If that is the case you may not see life in it. Otherwise, you still may find some hidden things spring up over time.

Not likely anything is going to eat whatever algae you are seeing. It could be a good algae or more of a problem algae depending on a detailed description. But after a month, you should have enough micro algae to support a couple of snails and a hermit if you want them.

Archived