Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3 gal Eclipse invert pico?

Argent

I have a 3 gallon Eclipse tank on my desk at work and I was wondering if I could switch it over to a small invert SW tank without losing the sleek stock appearance.

I was thinking just some sand and maybe a small piece of LR and a few cleaning crew type critters. Will it be ok with the stock bulb? or can I get something else that might fit? Also it uses the smallish carbon filter pads in the built in filtration system, would I want to replace that with just some LR rubble? and then remove the bio-wheel?

if its only gonna be housing inverts i would keep the filters as is and change appropriatly, i dont know about the lights (cant remember what it comes with), might want to retrofit a 9w pc or 12w if it wil fit...

Nanomaniac

A 3g invert only tank sounds like a great idea, and would look great on a desk. I would look into a small show piece invert such as Peppermint Shrimp, Strawberry Crab, Emerald Crab, Sexy Shrimp, etc. You might be able to house a single Cleaner, Fire, or Coral Banded although it might be alittle cramped. I would also look into a couple snails as your cleanup crew. I like Nassarius snails, Margarita snails, and Astraea snails.

As far as lighting goes. The Eclipse 3 comes with a 6w No fluorescent bulb which is fine for invert only tank, although you might look for a bulb with a better spectrum like a 10,000K. If you wanted to though you could install a PC retrofit kit that would allow you to keep corals.

Filtration. I would not use any filter media in the filter, although you could run some carbon if you wanted to but it isn't necessary. I would just get around 3lbs of live rock and a small powerhead and your all set. You could run the built in filter for added flow if you wanted to. Biowheels are not necessary as the live rock will do all the biological filtration for you.

You can keep the stock setup as is except a few minor changes, and you wont lose the stock look.

I'm pretty sure that inverts don't need special lighting requirements. But with the stock lights you will not be able to get any type of corals.

Wow -- what a great response!

I can remove the stock filtration (If I remember correctly it's an individual piece) if I did that -- would the piece of live rock that in the tank (along with whatever critters I added) be enough for filtration? I can pick up a small 25watt heater easy enough -- but what power head should I look for?

As far as lighting and keeping corals -- I don't want corals in this tank (I love my lil inverts) so I guess lighting can wait (does anyone make a 10K 6w bulb that would fit?) I'm thinking of going with some black sand (for a nice contrast to the rock/inverts) And 3 pounds of LR shouldn't be too hard to come by -- I'll ask around my LFS and the local reefer club to see if anyone has some they could give up.

As long as I put the lights on a timer, should there be any other concerns with leaving them over the weekend? Also if the tank gets up in the mid 80's will that be a problem? (sometimes when the AC's not on the office gets pretty warm)

Thanks for all the help -- I figure I can mix SW up at home in gallon jugs and keep one at the office for water changes -- and a gallon of RO/DI for top offs.

Nanomaniac
I can remove the stock filtration (If I remember correctly it's an individual piece) if I did that -- would the piece of live rock that in the tank (along with whatever critters I added) be enough for filtration? I can pick up a small 25watt heater easy enough -- but what power head should I look for?

Yeah just about 1lb per gallon of live rock, and a small powerhead is all you really need. I would look for a powerhead that is compact which takes up the least amount of room in the tank, and one that produces around 30-60gallons per hour. Minijet and Microjet powerheads are very small, produce great flow, and from what I've heard they work great. A 25w submersible heater is fine for a 3g tank. You could keep the built in filter and use it for surface agitation.

(does anyone make a 10K 6w bulb that would fit?) I'm thinking of going with some black sand (for a nice contrast to the rock/inverts) And 3 pounds of LR shouldn't be too hard to come by -- I'll ask around my LFS and the local reefer club to see if anyone has some they could give up.

I'm not sure if there are any 6w 10K bulbs, but you might be able to find some. Black sand would look great, and the inverts would really stand out.

As long as I put the lights on a timer, should there be any other concerns with leaving them over the weekend? Also if the tank gets up in the mid 80's will that be a problem? (sometimes when the AC's not on the office gets pretty warm)

Yeah if you leave the light on a timer it should be fine leaving the tank over the weekend. Although I don't know what time you are at your office you could also leave the light on a timer 24hrs a day. I like to leave my PC lights on for 10-12 hours than my moonlights on for the rest. A temperature around the mid 80's is a bit high imo, as above 82-83 is pushing it. You might have to keep an eye on the temp for the first week or so to see what the temperature stays at. If you can't keep the tempetature down you may need to install a fan in the hood to reduce the heat.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitat to ask. :)

I'm in 7:30am to 4:30pm m-f -- and I'd probably run the lights on a timer all week long.

this sounds like it's a pretty do-able and easy enough project -- I think perhaps I'll prep my tank this weekend.

Nanomaniac
this sounds like it's a pretty do-able and easy enough project -- I think perhaps I'll prep my tank this weekend.

Sounds good just make sure to take it slowly and keep up on your tank maintenance. Oh and be sure to post pictures once you start your tank. :D

are there inexpensive aquarium chillers out there?

working as an IT geek I always have tons of PC fans floating around that can be custom modded in to the hood to act as cooling (would that increase evaporation?)

I'm sure once the AC gets turned on the office will stay a nice frosty 68 or so -- which means I know I'll need a heater. Will also need to pick up some test kits, also I'm guessing I'll have some sort of tank cycle I'll have to wait for before adding anything?

Also can I just get like a Micro-Jet 320 and stick it to the back wall and call it good for water flow? or should I get some sort of duckbill to stick on the outlet? Will a hydor flo be something worthwhile? (I already have one collecting dust)

just looked at the stock bulb the tank comes with -- and it says it's a F6 T5 Daylight (printed on bulb)

Nanomaniac
are there inexpensive aquarium chillers out there?

Chillers are somewhat expensive and aren't really necessary for a 3g tank. There is a small chiller, but it sits in A HOB filter. There are other ways to keep the temp down such as adding fan to blow across the surface of the water.

working as an IT geek I always have tons of PC fans floating around that can be custom modded in to the hood to act as cooling (would that increase evaporation?)

It would increase evaporation, but it shouldn't be that much greater. You will need to regularly top off with RO water.

Will also need to pick up some test kits, also I'm guessing I'll have some sort of tank cycle I'll have to wait for before adding anything?

I would test throughout the cycle to make sure you get a spike, then wait until Nitrite and Ammonia are at zero before adding any livestock. I would add my cleanup crew first then your main invert.

Also can I just get like a Micro-Jet 320 and stick it to the back wall and call it good for water flow? or should I get some sort of duckbill to stick on the outlet? Will a hydor flo be something worthwhile? (I already have one collecting dust)

You don't necessarily need a nozzle for the output, but some give a more even flow of water but imo it really isn't necessary.

Archived