Cultivated Reef

Low light host for Clown Fish?

nanomilk

Hi guys.

Im looking to find a low light host for my clownfish.

My tank is a 24 gallon dedicated almost entirely to zoo's with the exception of a fungia and a small garden of mushrooms.

I will be purchasing two perc's in about a month or so however I would like to find a suitable host for them within the next few weeks.

Any suggestions?

goldenmean

They may host in the mushrooms.

Green Star polyps would be a good addition to your tank that clowns could host too

HAHAHA. Andy that is hillarious!

Goldenmean: Are the green star polyps hard to control? If I were to place them in an area on my live rock which is also shared by zoo's. Will they wipe my zoo's out?

HAHAHA. Andy that is hillarious!

Goldenmean: Are the green star polyps hard to control? If I were to place them in an area on my live rock which is also shared by zoo's. Will they wipe my zoo's out?

yes. GSP grows almost as fast as algae does. i keep mine on the sand in one of my tanks for that exact reason. in another tank of mine, they are on a rock. the surface area they covered has increased at least 5 times in the last year, overtaking several zoanthid polyps i was too slow to rescue.

i'm not saying GSP is bad. it is very easy to keep and looks great when you have a bunch of it, but it grows and spreads very quickly, and given enough time (and lack of maintenance on your part), will overtake your entire tank.

goldenmean

I have a nice rock of GSP that i keep on the sand bed.

In 3 months they have not spread although there has been growth in the size of the individual polyps. I have not had the experience of them growing out of conrtrol like algae. But if they do start spreading just cut them back.

I didnt mean it as a joke. Many research laboratories that study clownfish use fake anemones.

I didnt mean it as a joke. Many research laboratories that study clownfish use fake anemones.

interesting. Do the fakes sway at all?

interesting. Do the fakes sway at all?

they don't really sway much (at least noe the petco ones) and are ALGAE MAGNETS! they look so nasty bout a month after you stick it in there.

As full as my little tank is...may be a good option so the anemone will actually stay where I want it to...

Izzue

Charlie97L
As full as my little tank is...may be a good option so the anemone will actually stay where I want it to...

Izzue

well just remember, just because you put a clownfish and anemone/coral/powerhead/magfloat in the same tank, doesn't mean they will get together. these creatures do have minds of their own.

also, percs aren't the highest probability for hosting... i think it's sebae or clarkii... but again, it depends on the individual. just like an anemone won't stay where you put it, a clownfish won't necessarily go in an anemone... or whatever else.

^^

very true. in my one tank, i have a perc hosting on a powerhead while my tomato in my other tank could care less about everything else in my tank.

well just remember, just because you put a clownfish and anemone/coral/powerhead/magfloat in the same tank, doesn't mean they will get together. these creatures do have minds of their own.

also, percs aren't the highest probability for hosting... i think it's sebae or clarkii... but again, it depends on the individual. just like an anemone won't stay where you put it, a clownfish won't necessarily go in an anemone.

Rgr..rgr..

*sigh*

So annoying. I think I will just keeping making my zoo garden and forget about trying to find a clown host.

*sigh*

So annoying. I think I will just keeping making my zoo garden and forget about trying to find a clown host.

Good choice

Good choice

:lol:

Maybe they'll host in the zoo's lol.

Im going to be getting a helliofungia further down the track so might get lucky.

Archived