Innovative Marine Aquariums

10gal reef

loopy73

I want to set up a 10gal reef. I plan on some mushrooms/ polyps/leather. Also possibly 1 fish maybe a clown. not sure. Anyway i have purchased a JBJ 36Watt pc. Enough for my 10gal? I also plan on using a fluval 2plus intank filter. I am wondering what would be a good skimmer for the tank. I have a seaclone 100 but feel its overkill. I would prefer to stay away from an airdriven skimmer also. What is a good recommendation on substrate also. i have seen both sand and no sand but believe a livesand base to be more desirable. Any truth? Thanks in advance for the help. B)

For what you want to keep, the lighting should be plenty.

I don't like filters on reefs and an intank filter in a 10 gallon tank will take up too much space. The live rock and the live sand will act as your filter. If you still want some form of filtration, get a hang on back filter to free up more internal space.

Instead of the filter I would get one or two powerheads for water movement. there are some real small ones on the market now that work great. I think Dave Espi has some for sale (cheap) so you might want to ask him.

With regards to a skimmer, I personally don't use one as I have no place for it and I am running fine with an aquafuge hanging on the back of my tank. However, if you search for skimmers using the search feature, odds are you will come up with tons of skimmer info and you can see what is most used.

thanks for the reply i was planing on using the fluval as a carbon hold with no other media. its a 105gph and i probably should think of getting another powerhead. im not familiar with aquafuge. i have a aquaclear mini. i suppose i could use. thanks again.

the aquafuge is a hang on back refugium. The fluval will give you added water movement but it might be a space waster. I'm not familiar with the size of the filter. The less equipment in the tank, the more room for you to fill up with livestock.

Yup i did a search for aquafuge. Very nice looking unit but the price is kinda high. well i might just think about it. only money right. anyway the fluval is about 3x3x7 and does take up room. thanks again.

Archived