SaltCritters.com

The inch per gallon rule...(still working on stocking my 7 gallon)

Iphantom

How whould the inch per gallon rule work for a 7 gallon?

everyone I have asks said only one or two fish.

now does that mean 4 inches of fish? in that case I chould get 3

1 inch fish and be safe.

I am a little confused about this

my yellow tail damsel went to his new home( a HUGE display reef tank at my lfs)

so my tank is ready for its permenent fish

I was thinking the following fish(not all of them I was hoping that you chould give me some advice on which and how many):

these are all "maybes"if I am working with 4 inches then I was thinking one main fish(clown or something) and one or two gobies(depending on your theory on the inch per gallon rule)

p.clow

yellow watchmen goby-(will they form a relationship with cleaner shrimp? or is it just pistol shrimp that they do that with?)

sailfin algae bleeny(this is a big maybe I need to do more research on them first)

fire fish goby

any other suggestions?

now this are just fish that are small that I like...I have to be sure that they are all all the same diet and so on

basicly I just need some input

keep in mind I have 25 lbs of live rock

and do 10 or 20% water changes once a week

I have two fish, False Percula Clown and a Blue Chromis both our about an inch big. I do 10% water change a week and feed once a day. I also have a 7g bow but I have had the tank about 9 months I do not think you should have two fish in your tank if it is younger then that. But as long as there small and don't over feed and do your water changes you can keep two fish.

No no....flame angels like at least 30 gallons of marine water. and they eat polyp's and macro from what i hear. and they get about 6 inches as an adult.

always measrue that 1 inch of fish rule as 1 inch of ADULT fish. Look at the fish youwant if its a baby look at its max possible size.

My LFS keeps trying to sell me a Mandarin for my 5.5g! YA RIGHT!

THey tried to sell me a small box fish once for it too! ( different store)

One store tried to sell me a GREEN MORAY EEL for my 29g tank!

What a maroon! they get like 8 feet or more and dont grow to their enviorment. if you feed it it will grow.

Ignore the inch per gallon rule. In a freshwater tank, they say 1 inch per gallon. Would you put a 10" Oscar in a 10 gallon tank? I think not.

Start with one fish. Wait a while. See how it goes. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for my 7, but probably a perc or a gramma would be my choice. Nice, colorful, peaceful.

Aaaah, I feel more relaxed already.

In my 7 gallon I have a neon dottyback and a false perc. They have been living in harmony for close to 9 months now without incident (knocking on wood). My tank wasn't more than a few months old when they both were put in the tank and I have had very little problem. They lived thru a massive tank crash that included an ugly salinity problem. I have since added a refugium which gives my tank an additional 2 1/2 gallons of water so my 7 gallon probably has 7 gallons total water, maybe a bit less. Two fish are fine, if you don't over feed and you keep an eye on all parameters. I haven't done a water change in over 2 months and everything is growing and thriving. I feed them flake every few days and I assume they get what they need from the pods and whatnot that comes out of the fuge. Otherwise, someone is dropping food in that I don't know about.

Originally posted by Iphantom

p.clow  

yellow watchmen goby-(will they form a relationship with cleaner shrimp? or is it just pistol shrimp that they do that with?)

sailfin algae bleeny(this is a big maybe I need to do more research on them first)

fire fish goby

any other suggestions?

I think that only 1-2 MAX for a 7G. I would only go for:

A. percula or a pair of A. percula.

Also for everyone info. A fire fish goby is not a real fish, Fire fish ARN'T gobies.

Archived