inTank Media Baskets

Is this enough lighting for clam?

Daverman

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm really looking forward to getting a lot of useful information here. At any rate, I recently set up a 10-gallon tank (10-lbs Fiji live rocks & 2"-deep live sand), and I'm really interested in keeping a clam (possibly T. squamosa or maxima?) in my tank. I have a hood with 2X32W PCs (1-10000K, 1-Actinic). Do you think this is enough lighting to keep my future clam healthy? Which species is easier to keep in a relative sense?Of course, I'll wait till my tank is fully cycled and stabilized. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

From getting information from other sources and LFS, I have been told to successfuly house clams or SPS corals you need to have lighting that can put at least 8watts and a max of 10 per gallon of water in the tank. Now some people dont consider this a super efficient means of messurment, and I am not one to deny this. I know you can also measure light with a light meter. It measures lighting intensity with a measure called Lux. Now the minimum of Lux at the surface of the water to house SPS and clams is 25,000. Then range usually goes from 20,000 to 40,000. That is the exact way to do it. I perfer the watts to gallon ratio myself.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Daverman,

I would not do it myself! There is too many risk envolved...unfortunately, clams can come from places like www.clamsdirect.com or from the ocean. In this case, clamsdirect, if I remember correctly, grow their clams under metal halides and feed each one manually. So I would say deffinately no, your lighting is nowhere near as intense as the lighting they have there. Then if you get it from someone that gets it from the ocean. There it depends! Some people find well growing derasa and or crocea under rocks with very little light growing well and some are found in shallow water with, ofcourse, the sun as direct light.

Just some food for thought!:)

generally speaking, that's enough light for a squamosa imo. for the maxima or derasa you're pushing it but i believe peeps have done it. if you want to try it i'd go with the squamosa (after your system matures of course).

mac has a point on feeding to supplement basically. it will also factor in on the size of the clam but i think good LR and a mature system (plankton producing) can smooth those issues over.

A Derasa or a Hippopus would be the best bet for such low light. I would feel better with a little more light though. A Maxima is out of the question. A Squamosa might be ok but they are more light needy then the above two. See if you can find a copy od Daniel Knops "Giant Clams". It will tell you what you need to know or check at Reefland.com in there clam forum. Great folks with good info.

ochretoe

Archived