Top Shelf Aquatics

Coral Banded Shrimp

NewbieNanoReefer

NewbieNanoReefer

I got a Coral Banded Shrimp Placed him in the tank and he was running about and some how his arm fell off (i am not joking). Will this grow back after a few molts?

NewbieNanoReefer

HA HA Dave I am calling him old one arm gimp. I just felt bad for him. Is it true these cant exist with other shrimps or same species?

Do you know why the arm fell off? is it possible the arm was pulled off by something else in the tank? The last time I kept a cbs it lost one arm, then another and then it vanished. The culprit is still alive and well and is now about 5 or 6 inches long. yup, it's a nice big fat red mantis. I'm not saying you have a mantis but you might have something else that went after the shrimp. Just a thought.

freakaccident

My shrimp lost his arm for no reason too. It just fell off. His regrew in a couple of weeks. Wait till he sheds his skin and you flip out when you see it. I thought mine had died before I realized he just shed his skin. I left the old skins in the tank. Mine would eat his old skin within a day or two.

Crabs and shrimp commonly drop claws when danger is perceived...an attempt to keep potential predators busy while they escape....similar to lizards losing their tails.

Happens all the time when newly transported.

NewbieNanoReefer

Nothing Tore his arm off i only have scarlet hermits and Turbos in the tank, however there are anenomes on the live rock. Thanks for the imput.

Archived