ReefCleaners.org

Hermits are annoying.

technoshaman

I put 2 fighting conchs in my 46 gallon last week and havent seen them since Sunday. Figured they were buried. I look this morning and my zebra hermits are sporting nice new conch shells. Really annoying since I leave piles of shells around for hem to move into. Having had conch chowder before in key west I admit they are tasty but kind of an expensive way to feed the little bastards!

I just added one the day before yesterday. I was pretty surprised when a hermit climbed atop the conch. The conch wasn't too happy and flung him into a rock. Needless to say the hermit stays away...

Mike

My guess is the conchs died, then the hermits ate them and climbed in a shiny new home. Conchs are pretty tough and aren't usually easy prey for hermits.

But...you are right. Hermits suck and for the most part are over-rated additions to reef tanks. Besides the scalets, most are loosly omnivorous....much preferring any kind of meat to any algas (except of course for some caulerpas which they will eat readily).

I have a 6 little ones and two that are maybe a quarter inch (including shell). I like them. I've only ever had one that got big and then really mean. He killed off all sorts of stuff so he had to go.

I'll have to post pictures of my penalty box tank. I have a rock hermit in there covered with anemones hes about 3 inches wide and 2 deep and is ridiculously aggressive. For the furture in reef tanks I think I'm going to stick to scarlets even if they are lazy bums.

Originally posted by technoshaman

I put 2 fighting conchs in my 46 gallon last week and havent seen them since Sunday. Figured they were buried. I look this morning and my zebra hermits are sporting nice new conch shells.  

This reminds me of when Nike first came out with the Air Jordan line of tennie boppers! School kids were getting BLASTED for their foot gear. B)

Now we have Zebra Hermits capping Fighting Conch's for their 'crib'!!! BWA-ha-ha-ha-ha

I can hardly wait to get my nano-hood set up! All my parts arrived today so it's to the Home Depot this weekend! :)

That's the main reason why I'm not going to put any hermits in my new tank. No matter how "reef safe" they are (read- scarlet hermits) they will still go after snails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by technoshaman

I'll have to post pictures of my penalty box tank.  

:woot:

That's the best line!!! Penatly box tank!!!!!

Great!!

You, by chance, a puck-head?

I put three new astrea snails in today, and I spent about an hour throwing a blue-leg hermit and zebra hermit against the other side of the tank, becuase the snails were being annihalated(sp?). One snail got picked on for 10 minutes, and then buried himself. I don't plan on probably seeing him again.

Wow...I have 4 blue leg hermits and 3 scarlet hermits in a 10g along with 5 astrea snails and a couple of smaller snails that hitchhiked in on the LR. Hermits haven't bothered anything. I guess they had the "snail sensitivity" training.

Logan J

Archived