when i noticed this on the fish the params were :

pH 8.0

NH3 0.05

NO3 ~2.5

NO2~0.05

temp was 83.5

now the description of the ailments

pink skunk - rapid irradic movements, breathing hard

lemonpeel x half black hybrid - few scales missing, frayed pelvic fins, breathing harder than before but not really hard

pinkface wrasse - hard breathing, splotches on pectoral fins, noticed one white dot on caudal fin today

seems like what was on the wrasse is spreading

i dont see these splotches on the other fish

ive had the wrasse for over 6 months and the pink skunk for about 10 and the angel about 2

they were all good even after the move. i noticed these ailments yesterday so i did a water change and now

pH 8.0

NH3 0

NO3 0

NO2 0.05

lighting cycle is on around 11 off at 8 using 2x40W NO bulbs (10k and actinic)

the a/c has been on the fritz so its been on and off but now its completely not working, only fan

so i put a fan on top of the tank blowing on the water and brought the water down to 78.5 and now at 1:50pm its at 79 so im sure it wont fluctuate much now

i use oceanic salt and have been doin water changes every other week about 10-12gal at a time

ive been freakin out since yesterday so

if anyone could help me that would be awesome

thanks

mike

It is hard to diagnose a specific disease/disorder w/ out seeing the fish, but it sounds for the most part like it may be stress related due to the temp or water quality.

You did your water change and got the temp down, so I would give things a day or two and then let us know how things look. Just keep them fed well for now so they can stay strong and fight off any thing they may have.

Maybe PM the user "Six" and see what she thinks if she doesn't reply to this thread.

thanks for the kind words! :)

So, the temp was on the fritz before all this happened? Temperature fluctuations can certainly bring on disease. This stems from the immune system of the fish being weakened by the stressor. Also, what kinds of foods have you been feeding? Sometimes something as simple as a healthy, varies diet will get your fish through anything. A fish with a healthy immune system can fight off anything. I have a long and rather obnoxiously boring account of what a healthy immune system can do for a fish. Let's just say I've been through a lot of things with my fish and have maintained the same ones for 5 years (this year will be 5 for them.)

The other things that can cause major problems without you knowing it are:

pH fluctuation (read:pH drop) at night.

water quality (as addressed by lgreen)

KH and Calcium misbalance and or fluctuation

aggression

Hope that gives a little insight. I say keep the temp as stable as possilble, start testing pH at night and day- same times each time, like 5pm and then before the lights go on, start testing KH and Ca, and add some yummy frozen foods and or vitamin supplements into your feedings. NO wardley, tetra, or wal-mart brand flakes. :D

GL

Archived