Pod Your Reef

lighting

saltadd

hi, new to board, but been browsing for a while. i know this question has been asked a million times but here it is again. i have a 20g long tank, and getting ready to start a nano-reef, i have an existing light fixture that has (3) 55w biax lamps that are 4100k that fits perfectly over my tank, that gives me about 8 watts of light per gallon, is this enough light for a reef system?, also do i need to replace one of the lamps with a actnict (spelled wrong im sure) lamp, and if i do what do you recommend for periods of on/off to start. thanks for any help you can give me.

lighting is dependent upon the critters you want to keep.

I keep my actinic on for about 10 hours and my mh on for about 6 but I will be increasing the mh to 10 and the actinic to 12 now that the algae growth has slowed down.

Also have a 13w pc on the fuge that gives the tank a bit of light. that one goes on for 5 hours at night and the whole tank also gets some sunlight in the mornings from sunrise to about 11

Crakeur, did you not notice the kelvin on his bulbs?

saltadd, 4100K is too low of a kelvin. 5000K is mid day in the tropics at like 5ft. I would recommend changing your bulbs to atleast 6700K with one actinic.

Just my 2 cents!

Crakeur is right about depending on what species! You can grow just about any LPS, softies and some SPS with the light you have. Keep you higher light corals, closer to the light!

I agree with JDNels. I have2 55 watt bulbs 1 10000k with 1 03 actinic on my 29 and I have two 13w 6500k bulbs on my 5.5 . The 5.5 looks yellow and the 29 looks very nice blue and white.

They say and it is true that judging light for corals by the eye is a bad way to judge. But if you can get the best of both worlds I would opt for that.

And thats my 12 cents worth :) ( Hey! Inflation baby! ) LOL

Oops! Sorry! I use the "!" alot and it tends to make it look like I am mad...I glad you put in your input. He prolly read it the same way you did. On my 20H, I run 1-55W 03, 1-55W 6700K, 1-65W 03 and 1-65W 8800K. I think it makes a great color.

Archived