ReefCleaners.org

Leather Coral won't open...

Cyber

Hello reefers,

My leather coral somehow doesn't want to open its polyps up for 3 days. It's still healthy (still open big), just the polyps won't come out. The only thing I did was placing a bag of Phosguard in the filter on Sunday (3 days ago). There is no slime coat outside the coral to prevent them from coming out or anything like that. The tank is 18Gal, 2x36W, temp 78. Everything else in the tank is healthy. This is weird because it's never acting for a long time like this before. Anyone knows what's going on?

Thanks

Cyber

Well If you are dosing make sure the leather is not directly down stream. Ive never used phosguard so I cant say if its the problem but it does sound like a possibility. Try removing it for a day or two and see what happens. For what its worth Ive had really good success in the past using a "Polyfilter". I think it removes phosphates too but I cant remember. It didnt cause any Ill effects and it changes color so you know when to remove it.

HTH

I dose Cal, Iodine, Trace Elements...Just common stuff. Could the PhosGuard actually effects the coral short term? The weird thing is everything else is ok and open up good. Even my anenome (which very sensitive to water condition) opens up too. :*(

Cyber

Ive heard that phosguard will leach out what it absorbed if its left in too long. Granted yours has only been in for a few days so Im sure thats not the case

Archived