ReefCleaners.org

Confused about pH in a Reef...

Sahin

OK, I bought the RO water yesterday and out of curiosity, I tested the water for several parameters...

When I tested for pH it gave a reading of pH7 exactly.

Now this is as expected; ie pure water is pH neutral.

But I then asked myself, how then does the pH go upto pH8 or so???  -As required by a reef setup?

Is it the salt that increases the pH?

Let me know, thanks.

most salts raise the ph when added. i use IO and reef crystals and both raise it to 8.2. also aragonite sand will help maintain ph also

yeah the sea salt you add to the water raises the pH. RO water should be at the pH of 7. And sometime your tap water will be lower than 7 due to the chemicals from the water plant.

not to argue or anything!

but IMO aragonite does not maintain PH level in reef tanks.

It "could" raise or lower PH when a tank is first established, and can increase PH when used with freshwater tank. But it wont/help maintain a PH level :( .

If there any any arguements toward's me, please send me a private message and include a scientific research/report information. or simply start a new post so we dont ruin sahins post :)

sahin,

sea salts usually brings the Ph level to 8.0+. but a way to maintain the level is by using PH buffers.

i use red sea, and it keeps my pH level to 8.3 so there is no need to add buffer....it works for me..but its not guaranteed that it will work for you :(

OK, so now I understand; the salt raises the pH to about

pH 8 or thereabouts.  And I suppose a pH buffer would be a useful addition.

Thanks for all the input :)

And Stryf3 I read too that aragonite doesnt buffer. So I agree with you.

Crushed coral as far as I knoe, doesnt buffer either.

Neither does it help raise the pH.

Thanks for the enlightenment! :D

Archived