ReefCleaners.org

does my new clown have ich?

300ZX

It might be. Hard to tell from the pic. Just make sure the params are in check before deciding on treatment. I've never had to treat SW fish for it so I can't help out on what to treat with. I know in FW-land, we jack the temp up a little for a while and add some salt. I guess the second step wouldn't be needed though, huh? If you have a quarantine tank, I'd definately recommend that.

It might be. Hard to tell from the pic. Just make sure the params are in check before deciding on treatment. I've never had to treat SW fish for it so I can't help out on what to treat with. I know in FW-land, we jack the temp up a little for a while and add some salt. I guess the second step wouldn't be needed though, huh? If you have a quarantine tank, I'd definately recommend that.

don't you see those little white spots on one of the clowns?

All raising the temp does is speed up the ick life cycle. Maybe just give it a little fresh water dip and put it back in the tank. If the clown goes in the anemone, the anemone could sting off the ick or so I've heard.

don't you see those little white spots on one of the clowns?

I can see the spots, but it's not clear enough to say for sure that it is ick. There are other parasites that can resemble ick. Do the spots look like salt crystals? If so, it is most likely ick.

All raising the temp does is speed up the ick life cycle. Maybe just give it a little fresh water dip and put it back in the tank. If the clown goes in the anemone, the anemone could sting off the ick or so I've heard.

well i've done a little research and it looks like lowering the salinity will slow down the onslaught.

i hope the lowered salinity doesnt kill my anemone :mellow:

get a six line wrasse

and a cleaner shrimp

decrease salinty

increase temp

done

oh yea ,

try to soak food in garlic too.

it works, have had great success in this method

Helfrichs Chick

IMO I would not do anything, Ick is like the flu, when were stressed out our immune system can not fight it off, same with the fish. Its a new fish so he is a bit stressed, going from diffrent waters and such, I would just watch him. Will proballyclear up in a few days or so. All damsels clowns included are pretty hardy, it is a bit hard to tell if it IS actually ick. Brooklenella (sp) is pretty common in clownfish, it usually looks slimey, not like little white dots. FYI look up on the fresh water dip if you decide to do it, its not a "fresh water dip": its a low salinity dip.

Helfrichs Chick

some people say it works because its in the blood or gives off some chemical, kinda like when skeetos dont like ya if you smoke (not sure about that one either lol ). I havent ever tried it but heard it works. Also you could just try some vita chem to help boost the immune system.

Archived