Top Shelf Aquatics

Not so mysterious death of a clown

Masoch

I'm bummed. One of my clowns (the female of a mated pair of Clarks) jumped out of the tank last night (through a gap about 1 inch x 2). Anyone know why a clown would jump after the lights were out? She was the biggest critter in the tank and nothing messed with her. Also, as far as I could see, both clowns just did the standard up and down / bobbing / sleeping dance every night. In fact, I've only ever seen any of fish swim in the top third of the tank during feeding time. She had excellent colour, was growing steadily, and ate like clowns are supposed to.

The only recent changes to the tank are that I started dosing 1ml of aragamilk / every other day a few days ago, but my pH hasn't shifted from 8.3 / 8.4. Otherwise, I added some red macro and a colony of polyps yesterday. The macro actually came from the same tank I got the clarks from originally. The other clark and the royal gramma are fine.

It's a 20 gal tank with good parameters (calcium at 450, 0 ammonia, nitrates, nitrite, salinity at 1.024, weekly 10% water change).

Archived