ReefCleaners.org

REplacment bulbs arrived from hello lights Bad bulbs again?.......

SaltyDawg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REplacment bulbs arrived from hello lights Bad bulbs again?.......

I have a hamnd held shop light that accepts two 13 watt pl-13 watt two pin biax bulbs. I plugged the new bulbs in and nothing!!!!!!! I am real realy ####ed off now this is the second time in a row! The bulbs seem to be in perfect working order. no black marks. no rattling inside. no cracks. seem to be in perfect shape. I plugged the old bulbs back in and viala they work but the new bulbs dont. The lable on the light fixture says use only pl- 13w with two pin biax with 125v ac only and 12 amp max.

the new bulbs give no description on the ac voltage nore the amperage. Can anyone help me here!!!!! I am so ####ed of right now!!!!

I just went to their website and the ballast they sell with these bulbs as a whole unit say's they are 120v 60 hertz will this cause the bulbs not to light up since mine is 125v?

This thread needs more VENDORS FEED BACK FORUM placement.

Id say try checking the connections and make sure the switches are all "ON" and try screwing in the bulbs a little tighter.

reef5C27tardsdontposthere.gif

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem. I have read where others are taking the bayco lights and replacing them with hellolights bulbs. I have a handheld drop light, 2X13w with GX23 base and it says to use pl-13 bulbs. Everything should work. I ordered Hello Lights bulbs and neither worked, put my old ones in and they light just fine????? I doubt it is HelloLights bulbs are bad. But what???

Has any one got a solution for this?

Lee

Your new bulbs will not work in your work light because the work light has an electronic balast. The hello lights.com bulbs will only run off of a magnetic balast. Go to home depo and buy two (2) 20 watt normal out put flourecent ballast's. They are magnetic and will light up your lights. and they are WAY cheaper then the balast's hello lights sells to operatetheir bulbs. ( after banging my head in the wall i discovered this by total accident.)

I know what you mean but that is truely all it is worth to you if you are gonna run 50/50's. some 6.5k bulbs will run withthe electronic ballast's though. I have no idea which brands will and wont though. You can either use your end caps from the bayco light or use female round conectors. ( Like round wire conectors. sort'a look like barrel pins. )Then use heat shrink tubing to cover them.

My Bayco ballasts work fine with the Hellolights 13 watt pl bulbs. There should not be an issue as I have not had a problem with their bulbs yet. Mine may be bookworms, but they are the same ballasts (just different color and shaped plastic housings).

I would agree with dave to check all connections but would stay clear of trying to "screw" them in any tighter. I originally used a JBJ pl bulb (way too expensive) that I had to knock around to get it to fire sometimes.

Then you either have two seperate MAGNETIC ballast's in your bayco light or you have two seperate single bulb bayco lights. Their single bulb lights have a magnetic balast and will work. their dual bulb set up has an ELECTRONIC balast and will NOT work. The reason these bulbs from hello lights will not work with and electronic balast is that they are not rapid start bulbs. They have a starter built in to the base of the bulb. So the ONLY balast you can use with these bulbs from hello lights is a MAGNETIC type balast. It dose not matter if the balast they sell and the one you have are only off by 5 volts. The electronic balast in the dual bulb fixture will only light up the "PLU" type bulbs that have no starter built in to the base. If you use the GX-23 style bulb with an electronic balast you WILL fry the bulb or your balast. The starter that is built into the base of the GX-23 style bulb will either "spark out" or it will fail sennding 1 large current spike into the bulb and crack the bulb it self or burn out the filement, or fry your balast. Trust me on this one. I have had numerous conversations with Matt from hello lights about this problem. That is why they sell their own balast specificly for these bulbs. It is a scam if you ask me. They will not tell you whether or not the balast is a magnetic or an electronic balast before you buy it either. Only the volts and wattage.( at least they wouldnt tell me 6 months ago when I called and asked.) They will say they dont know. I had to take my bulbs and my fixture to an electronics shop to fnd out the difference.

Archived