Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lights during cycle period

kevin brocato

kevin brocato

Well I set my 10 gallon up tomorrow with cured LR and LS. I have heard that during the cycle period it is best to run the lights for a period of 6 hours per day ONLY until the tank cycles. This will help cut down on algae bloom. I have 2x 28 watts setup. 2 in True Blue Actinic and 2 in 10K. They say to run the actinics only during cycling then the 10K later. Also they say to change 10% of the water twice a week until it cycles. C'mon experts! GIVE ME SOME OF YO FEEDBACK !!

If your LR/LS are cured, you wont cycle. Run your lights just as you plan to - you're ready.

O'course, you will need to have your test kits all ready to verify that the tank is indeed ready.

Originally posted by ajroahkni

If your LR/LS are cured, you wont cycle.  Run your lights just as you plan to - you're ready.

O'course, you will need to have your test kits all ready to verify that the tank is indeed ready.

That is not necessarily true. Even cured rock will suffer some die off. If the rock was bought from a local store that die off might be less than if it was shipped from an online dealer but things will die, it is inevitable and the tank will go through a cycle of sorts, all new tanks do. Unless you just moved rock and sand from one established tank and put it into a new tank. I would still expect to see some increase in ammonia, trites and trates, just not as big a change as with a new tank with new live rock and sand.

I hope you dont mind, butI wanted to post a new question that has to do with a new tank setup and LR. Now I was watching a reef 101 video by Coralife and they were showing the LR in the new tank with no salt mixed water. Is this ok? wont that promote die off on the LR if its not kept in water? Do you need to fill the tank half way with mixed water then put in the LR?

Jeremy

Archived