Cultivated Reef

After Effects of Cal/Alk Precipitation

newreefguy

Recently I dosed too much Alk/Cal (stupid) and caused a minor precipitation problem. I tested the water after the precip started and the Alk was at about 12dkh and the Cal was at about 550ppm.

I let it sit for a few days figuring that the levels would slowly go down (assuming that the only thing to precip was what the water column wouldn’t support) and checked the levels again last night. To my surprise my Cal remained about the same but my Alk had dropped to around 5dkh.

So I guess my question is when a precip problem starts why is it that what is precipitated is more than just what cant be dissolved in the water column? I also found out last night that my salinity was way too high at about 1.03. Could that have affected something? I have read that hyper salinity can prevent solubility but my levels tested high.. strange. I guess that will teach me for being lax on my water quality testing.

Try to keep your Alk up and the Calcium should slowly come down. Here is a great link on this subject.

Chemistry

Good luck.

Oh and maybe water changes will help also.

Archived