Top Shelf Aquatics

Floads 2.5 pico

Fload

love browsing through the forums and looking at peoples picos thanks for all the inspiration! i have a 100 gal tank with lots of stuff to frag and decided to make a simple pico for the bathroom so far i have got the tank up and running added frags and even got a mantis shrimp (saved him from being flushed) thought i would share some pics as the tank develops...

overflow containing Carbon bag, 50 Rio powerhead, thermo, and homemade Auto Top off (floatswitches.com) DSCN5160.jpg

Front veiw

DSCN5159.jpg

Side Veiw

DSCN5158.jpg

size perspective shot

DSCN5157.jpg

Pretty looking tank! I have some questions. What kind of light are you using? Any fish or inverts? Are you just doing water changes with water from your 100g?

i got the coralife mini 2x9w, no fish just some tiny hermits and a mantis shrimp not sure if the mantis is still alive havent seen him since i put him in... but im thinking hes just hiding.. and yes i do water changes twice a week

i notice alot of people dont list out what they have as far as equiptment on their picos so i thought i should....

2.5 gal tank regular old petsco/petsmart $10

Rio 50 pump $10

ATO

-floatswitch $6

-batterypowered airpump $6

-clear tubing $1

Lighting

-coralife mini $34

-timer $6

Total price Around $70

Livestock was not included since its all frags from my main tank

estmated value +- $100

o i forgot about the lil mini magFloat! its awesome about a inch long and half an inch wide i think it was like 3$ from bigals

yea the one on the black sponge is getting too much flow cause its right next to the powerhead i was gonna move it but the rock its attached to will cause the whole pile to collapse its actually looking alot better though i think its prolly gonna hop off and the purple one just got attached to the tubeworm (superglue gel) ill post some more pics once they get used to their new homes

why not try making a mini spray-bar out of 3/8-1/2" hard plastic tubing? that would spread the flow out a little more and not stress the coral so much.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks really cool B) , im looking forward to starting up a Pico after getting my Uni exams out the way in a few weeks time and what really interests me is the overflow part of this tank, could you explain the theory behind it please? Does it do the same job as a skimmer and/or filter? and if so is it benificial to have a filtration system when you do such frequent water changes??? im sorry if this is a basic question but I have been viewing lots in the forums but still have lots of questions :)

This looks really cool B) , im looking forward to starting up a Pico after getting my Uni exams out the way in a few weeks time and what really interests me is the overflow part of this tank, could you explain the theory behind it please? Does it do the same job as a skimmer and/or filter? and if so is it benificial to have a filtration system when you do such frequent water changes??? im sorry if this is a basic question but I have been viewing lots in the forums but still have lots of questions :)

The overflow was initially part of the design for asthetics, I could hide the powerhead and have a place for an ATO float switch, and a carbon/chemi bag without having to build a sump. If you have room you can do the same thing with a sump an prolly get better results however I wanted to make an "all in one" simple pico I also like that all the scum that would normally float around or settle in the sand eventually makes its way into the overflow section where it can been sucked out during a water change without knocking over rocks and coral...

i like your design, can you send me the dimensions for the over flow wall/baffle?

um i didnt really measure anything just sorta eyeballed it but the wall is 2.5 inch from the back... if i would redo anything i would have just made the wall a lil taller maybe like 1/4 of and inch from the top instead of like 1/2 just because it would of made the waterline less noticeable

o and the wall has a hole cut in it to which the powerhead is siliconed to the powerhead sits about 1/4 of an inch from bottom of tank

EL CHUPACABRA
ATO

-floatswitch $6

-batterypowered airpump $6

-clear tubing $1

Can you tell me more about your Auto top off, i am interested in building one and yours seems pretty cheap.

Archived