Pod Your Reef

Pico Horse Barn !

althefishguy

althefishguy

This is a 2.5 pico that is actually 1.5 yrs old now it's Dwarf Horses with a bunch of macros and zoos there are 3 pregnant males right now I get about 30 fry that survive every 2 months !! I also have a 10g with Dwarfs and pipe fish !!

And This is Othello He's a pacific mudflats octopus He's 8 months old !!!

He has a 29g private tank LOL !!! Nothing but him algae and rock !!!

Thanks for checking us out !!!!!!

althefishguy

Yes he will eat anything, I feed him squid , clams, feeders his favorite is little hermits but that gets expensive !!!

At 1 1/2 years old have you had problems with hydroids yet? My 10 G when I had seahorses in it- I ended up raising a big batch of Cassiopeia along with the seahorses. I finally sold them to lfs at about 50 cent piece size as they were eating too many of the brine shrimp.

:S

supersecretshinto

I wasn't aware there even were dwarf Sea Horses! Our lfs and those in surrounding cities never have anything cool. I would love to suprise my girlfriend with a few of those!

I, too am interested in what you feed yours. I've heard of using baby brine, but that's too much work for me. That's the only thing that made me decide against setting up a dwarf seahorse tank.

are there any small octopus species (besides the blue ring) that I could put in my nc6 as a species tank? Nice tanks. I too wonder what you feed the horses.

I was thinking of getting some dwarf seahorses a while back but I read that the only thing they will eat is newly hatched baby brine shrimp. That just seemed like too much work for me to do that all the time.

I was thinking of getting some dwarf seahorses a while back but I read that the only thing they will eat is newly hatched baby brine shrimp. That just seemed like too much work for me to do that all the time.

we get them every now and then at my store, and they usually eat frozen baby brine. the babies, though, won't eat frozen for some reason.

They dont eat frozen DO NOT BUY these unless you have done the research. They are Extremely hard to keep and require daily feeding of live hatched foods. I had some in a 2.5 they were doing good but a famliy member of mine sprayed lysol in my room killing the heard they are very delicate with very special needs.

bigbabich

I always see seahorses in muted lit tanks. Would highly lit tanks freak them out.

I have been thinking about having a seahorse tank for some time but would like to put some corals in there too. I know I would only get corals that would be fine with low water flow, but I'm worried about the lights with the seahorses.

They dont eat frozen DO NOT BUY these unless you have done the research. They are Extremely hard to keep and require daily feeding of live hatched foods. I had some in a 2.5 they were doing good but a famliy member of mine sprayed lysol in my room killing the heard they are very delicate with very special needs.

I had always heard and read that they won't eat enough frozen to live. Thanks for clearing it up.

What happened to your avatar, Snoop?

It is not recommended to mix seahorses with corals, as they can potentially be killed by them. Seahorses are very slow, and therefore can't compete with most fish in an aquarium, and they do need frequent, live feedings, usually, though I have heard of some tank-raised specimens that were successfully weaned onto frozen-thawed. You should probably get in mysis shrimp as well, since that is more of a natural food for them. As far as octupi for a 6 nc - there are none. Having one in a large aquarium is challenging enough, let alone a small one. I would be surprised if this one survives. I don't mean to sound as if I am flaming, but a little research would show that all cephalopds require very specialized care. Most are not suitable for home aquaria, except for an occasional octupus. Even they are difficult. They need pristine water, no escape routes ( they can easily push a lid off of a tank ), and no tankmates. If they get freaked and ink in their own tank, they can easily die if the water is not changed immediately. Oh, and most dont live longer than a year or two. Some things are better left in the ocean, or at the least, in a public aquarium.

Archived