ReefCleaners.org

Is this Coral Healthy?

Fishfreak218

Fishfreak218

Ok, well before i tell you where and why i got this coral.. how does it look???

vwu1qx.jpg

vwu1yw.jpg

vwu261.jpg

vwu2dl.jpg

Ok, well know you know why i am aksing.. i had to get food for my Leaffish... and so we stop at.. dun dun dun DeathCo (i mean PetCo) and so of course i browse through the SW stuff and i saw this and just HAD to get it...why you ask.. well it was labled at $40 and so i asked one guy.. he said it would be $80 for this one b.c. it had 2 on the same rock... so he got busy with another customer and i got another lady.. asked her the price and she said $22.99 (she looked at the Xenia tag..) so of course i couldnt help my self and had her bag it up and i was on my way... :lol: so does it look alright.. it seems to be healthy.. i hope i got it in time before there tank killed it.... TIA

-josh

somewhat unethical...but nice find. 80 is pretty darn steep though...

Though it might just be the picture, there may be a bit of necrosis on the smaller one...just keep an eye on it.

i didnt pay $80 for something from Petco.. i payed $22.99

necrosis??? whats that?

necrosis is dead/dying flesh on the coral... that pinched spot on the closest edge of the smaller one. it's hard to tell from the pic.

they look ok, and in a good tank, doubtless will flourish, they are nice.

Fishfreak218

as of right now i cant.. its actually 2 diff rocks but the leather's are connected at the base...so when they growapart i deffinatly will..and ill probably bring one in for store credit... (make some money..)

don't bring it to petco for store credit. Trade it to a local reefer or bring it in to a quality LFS for credit. Plus you'll be killing the coral be giving it to petco. And you can cut it down the base now it will heal just fine and would be just like fragging it but easier on the coral.

Fishfreak218

oh.. i will trust me..i havnt been to Petco for a LONG time... but i had to get food.. so i did.. i barely ever go in there.. i ussualy go to LFS's that actually no somewhat what they are talking about and have healthy coral/fish/inverts...

even bigger nano-scammer!!! :P

LOL.. ya.. maybe ill make some $$$

it would be a win win situation..i get a Leather coral and get say an extra $10 :) perfect......

therefore i didnt loose money.. i gained money and got some coral..

• 2 weeks later...
Fishfreak218

dont act like you wouldnt do the same thing^^^

lol; :);)

anyway the coral is still alive and doing well... and its been 12 days.. i dont think it has necrosis..... well see..

brent-konieczny

Looks awesome, but you got ripped off. You should cut one of the heads off and grow out a couple frags.

At $22 I don't think he got ripped off - if he'd paid the $80 the coral was supposed to cost, rather than the price of the Xenia, he would have been ripped off.

Fishfreak218 I don't agree with what you did. I work at a LFS, if I made the type of mistake as the woman who sold you that leather, they'd want to take the difference out of my paycheque. Since you asked, they're nice corals and look healthy to me.

Fishfreak218

the lady had a bad attitude anyway and its not my fault she didnt know.. she could have easily asked an employee which was the right one... and also.. i think $22 is a GREAT deal.. if u get stuff like this for $22 then i think ur realy lucky.. if i got this from an LFS they would charge me at LEAST $40

firefishbrain

Great find and good save. I'm sure that dying part will heal and no it's not unethical to buy something at a lower price from petco, they didn't do their research and that's their foul. (next time you go, ask someone how many times they here the word "Nemo"... heh heh heh...). if they can't tell the difference between two coral that mostly anyone on this site can tell apart, then they should be jipped out of $18. (can you tell I don't like petco very much?)

Fishfreak218

and the labels had pictures on it.. c'mon the label were she got the price off of had a picture of the coral.. clearly if she is to lazy to match them up then she either doesnt get it taken off her paycheck OR she just doesnt care....

Archived