inTank Media Baskets

flow for my 8 gal

roxy25

hello in my aquarium thread someone posted that I might be too much flow for my tank

I just bought a maxi-jet 900

is this really too much ?

non-photosynt

Not an expert, but had read that the more flow - the better, unless it bothers fish (clowns particularly). Maxi-Jet 600 are successfully used in 6 gal Nano Cube (at Nano-Cube forums here), and, if I remember right, MJ1200 in 12 gal NC.

While soft curing live rock (light, flow, water changes, additives), I added MJ600, with venturi for aeration, into 3.5 gal plastic container - I never had seen so fast corraline algae growth on the walls in the my aquariums with less water flow.

Just a thought.

I have 2 1200's and a 900 in my setup and the flow is great. I dont get any of my DSB blowing around and the movement is great. I also put them on a wavemaker so the flow is anywhere from 300 - 800 at any given time. I love it

I don't think the flow will be too much for your 8g (only 30x turnover overall)...but it might be better to split up the flow a bit and have 2 lower-rated maxijets (like maybe 2xMJ400's).

I don't think the flow will be too much for your 8g (only 30x turnover overall)...but it might be better to split up the flow a bit and have 2 lower-rated maxijets (like maybe 2xMJ400's).

thanks you guys

well I guess you will see an ad up in the classifieds lol

damn I should of asked before I ordered it will not be here until saturday

well I am going to Tongs on vermont/vernon tomorrow.

I guess I will see if he has maxi-jets

i say no.. the Maxi-Jet 900 was strong for my tank.. im sure it would blow things around.. go for a 600

what size tank do you have ?

I have 2 1200's and a 900 in my setup and the flow is great. I dont get any of my DSB blowing around and the movement is great. I also put them on a wavemaker so the flow is anywhere from 300 - 800 at any given time. I love it

hmmm gives me more to think about

thanks

i had a 30g. Oceanic Cube

A MJ900 was too much for your 30g oceanic cube? That's like only 7x turnover (insufficient for a coral reef).

Fishfreak218

i also had an Aquaclear 110 (500) and a Powersweep... i always had very insuficient flow.... (alot of my bad newbie mistakes is one of the reason why i broke my 30g. cube down..)

another thought is to get a ''Y'' splitter with some locline if you wanted to decrease the flow and have more manuevabilty within the sytem

another thought is to get a ''Y'' splitter with some locline if you wanted to decrease the flow and have more manuevabilty within the sytem

A "Y" splitter can be put on a maxi-jet?

also where can I get one

Archived