Top Shelf Aquatics

new life

me03

I added my cleaner crew last week, and I've noticed some polyp-like growth. The first is on an astrea snail. It "blooms out when there's no movement in the room, but when you get close it sucks back into the side of the snail shell. Possibly Xenia? Any guesses? Don't have a digital camera to post.

Also I have what appears to be the beggining of some star polyps started on several rocks. They look like little tubes with like tiny tenticles or something. Any guess?

Finally, I've got three very small round "polyps" growing on a rock. There about an eighth of a inch round and appear transparent right now. I'm hoping its the beggining of some zoothanids. Again any guesses?

Here are my guesses:

On the snail, either a tiny feather duster or a barnacle of some sort.

On the rock - same thing.

The three round, transparent polyps - Aiptasia or rock anemones.

Again, just guessing as you have no pictures. However, zoanthids are generally not transparent. It isn't impossible to obtain live rock with some zoos or other polyps but you are more likely to get a few rock anemones or aiptaisa.

If you can get a camera and post some pics, I'm sure we can get you an id for each unknown critter. the knowledge base here is frightening.

harbingerofthefish

1. ditto with crakuer- have the same thing on one my empty shells.

2. If they are purplely giving you the idea that they maybe star polyps...probally some type of small anenome. I had a pair for a while. If there is no mat growing around them then it's probally not star polyps.

3. Could be buttons, but if they really are transparent, more likely anenomes. oh yeah this is a ditto too.

Archived