Top Shelf Aquatics

Halide LIghting Question

jc51373

I have the opportunity to pick up a Giessman 230 plus (1x 250w halide) lighting system that is virtually new. I would be putting this over my 20 gallon high tank I am in the process of setting up. I plan on keeping a clam or two and want the option to keep SPS in the future, although I will begin with Softies....My question is, does anyone out there think it would be nuts to put a 250w halide over a tank that small? I have AC in the summer so heat will be dealth with appropriately, but is this too much light, is there such a thing? I don't want to give up the opportunity to get such a quality system (the thing is SWEET!), but I also don't want to vaporize my animals....I have experience with fish only tanks not reef so the intricacy of the lighting issue is new to me. Maybe someone out there has something larger over an even smaller tank with success and can provide me with some reassurement.

THX!!!

From what I have learned in this forum...

There is nothink like "Too much lighting". That means more the better. With 250W, all you would need to worry about would be the heat dissipation by the bulb. I am gonna have 175W MH and I have researched that 10" distance between water and the bulb with 2 fans will help keep the temperature in control. So with 250W, I guess may be 15" would do the trick. I will say you should ask around with other ppls experience...

Archived