Cultivated Reef

acrylic scratches

jjharrisx4

Rainbow Lifeguard makes a acrylic scratch removal kit that works well. It consists of several different grades of very fine sandpaper which you work through until the scratch is gone. I have taken out some pretty decent gouges with the kit. Novus makes pastes which also work well.

i've never taken out scratches personally but from my research of other people's posts it sounds like a lot of work you may want to do a search on reef central before you fool around with it.

You can use tooth paste. Try to find the old type tooth paste without all of the added flavers. Use a 100% cotton cloth over a block. Don't do this inside an opperational tank, "DA". This will remove light scratches. Deep scratches will need a scrach removal kit.

I have used the Novus paste on large aquariums with an orbital buffer. It works great for large hazy areas as well as deeper scratches. I guess it depends on what you need to do. Paste for large areas, the Lifeguard kit for smaller areas of haze or isolated scratches.

damn I have to fix a BIG wall of acrylic 4 X 6' inside tank.

I need a way to do it wiht WATER IN THE TANK.

no way I want to drain a 280 with live stock in it unless I can powerbuff the scratches out in less than 2 hours.

(I did a thread on this topic only 2 months or less ago I bumped it recently Ill see if I can find it)

Still no dice. :(

EDIT: derrrr I LOVE "search"

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...light=Scratches

So, I went to TAP Plastics today and got a demo of the Novus system...Needless to say, I scratched up some sheets of scrap acrylic and the salesman proceeded to buff them to perfection in a matter of minutes. I'm now the proud owner of Novus 2 and Novus 3. I'll let you know how it works!

Archived