Coral Vue Hydros

MY first pico

CapHillReef

CapHillReef

So, I ordered the 1.6 gal tank kit from Catalina Aquarium...after alot of waiting and a few emails, it finally arrived.

It came with a crappy HOB filter which I will probably need to replace and a 2x13 light fixture. Not too bad.

First I just put sand and water in...it's Southdown Caribbean play sand, which was very nicely left by the previous owners of the house.

empty.jpg

Then a week or so later, I added some rock. A place near me has $1.50/lb rubble. Good deal!

day1.jpg

Had a few hitchhikers...I think this is aiptasia, from the pictures I've seen. It's huge though. At this point, any signs of life are exciting, though.

hitch.jpg

Please comment! I need to get some clean-up crew, since algae is getting pretty bad on some of the rocks. This is a great hobby! Any recommendations are appreciated.

how long has it been set up?, because you should wait a little after you set your tank up(for clean-up crew), and good start!

p.s. what kind of light is that?, it looks like a coralife, but really really mini.

CapHillReef
how long has it been set up?, because you should wait a little after you set your tank up(for clean-up crew), and good start!

p.s. what kind of light is that?, it looks like a coralife, but really really mini.

It's a Catalina Aquarium light. http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_in...roducts_id=1232

It came with a 10k and an actinic, both 13 watts.

The tank has been set up for a week or so. Is it too early to put a crab in?

Thanks!

I'd say it's still too early to put anything in there.

I'd suggest waiting another week or two and then you should be fine. Make sure to keep testing your water all the while so u can see when the ammonia spike deminishes. After that you should be golden.

Just my .02

Boil some water, get a syringe and squirt the boiling water directly into the center of the aiptasia, should kill it dead B)

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

or if you wanna get a lil medeval on it, take out the rock and poor salt dirrectly on it, scrub a lil with an old toothbrush, wash it off with some saltwater, and it should be pretty dead. ha.

i did that once, before i heard of the kalk idea... woah did it stink!

So, I ordered the 1.6 gal tank kit from Catalina Aquarium...after alot of waiting and a few emails, it finally arrived.

It came with a crappy HOB filter which I will probably need to replace and a 2x13 light fixture. Not too bad.

First I just put sand and water in...it's Southdown Caribbean play sand, which was very nicely left by the previous owners of the house.

empty.jpg

Then a week or so later, I added some rock. A place near me has $1.50/lb rubble. Good deal!

day1.jpg

Had a few hitchhikers...I think this is aiptasia, from the pictures I've seen. It's huge though. At this point, any signs of life are exciting, though.

hitch.jpg

Please comment! I need to get some clean-up crew, since algae is getting pretty bad on some of the rocks. This is a great hobby! Any recommendations are appreciated.

Joe's Juice is the best stuff I've used for Aipstacia

• 3 weeks later...
CapHillReef

Here are some updated photos...An FTS and a close up of my first inhabitants, a little zoo frag and a peppermint shrimp I picked up off of a local reefer. I replaced the original HOB filter with an AC30, which keeps things moving a lot. I got a few dwarf blue leg hermits and two nassarius snails to keep it clean.

I need to make a cover to reduce evap, and I haven't completely given up on bringing it to work. More stable temperatures there at least.

I want to get some more zoos and some mushrooms to give it some color (other than brown).

may23.JPG

close-up.JPG

Sea_Of_Treachery

these tanks SUCK, i have the 2.5g the lighting works ok for the first few weeks, then looses its spectrum really fast, the filter is a piece of crap also, horrible tank. i would replace both filter and lighting IMO

Archived