Pod Your Reef

OK! I have decided to make a custom hood for my 10 gallon tank.

RLiu818

Can someone give me a link to a DIY site that teaches me how to make my own hood or a page that shows some guidelines.

Basically i need to know the basic design layout. What material to use and avoid.

Also, what is the most reputable place to buy the retrofit kits. And are all retrofit kits the same? Which brand should I go for?

Thanks in advance.

OK NEVERMIND!!! I just read alot of posts in the DIY on building custom hoods and I am sure that I am not capable of doing it myself.

I am a 20 year old college student with no wood-shop experience. I hate wood dust and im afraid to get a splinter!

So....... are there any places (online) that sell pre-made bare canopies where i can just install a retrofit kit myself?

nah man it is super easy! All you need is one 6 foot 1x6, access to a bandsaw or circular saw, two hinges and a drill.

you can even have Lowes or HomeDepot cut the wood to size before you take it home. just make sure you measure the hood dimension about 1/4" larger then your tank. Then go out and get some balsa wood about 1/2 thick by 1" wide from a hobby store like hobby lobby. glue three 1 inch long peices of the balsa wood about one inch up from the bottom on the side's and front for it to rest on your tank rim. ( or how ever tall your plastic rim is on your tank.)

It is realy super easy. leave the back totally open for heat dissapation and filter cleanrances. dont worry if you use 1x6 it will put the bottom of your lid about 5 1/2 " above the rim that will clear most all HOB filters. it even clears my prizm protien skimmer.

Archived