SaltCritters.com

New tank questions - not a nano...

jjharrisx4

Hey guys...how's it going? Well, I'm going to be upgrading my 50g tank into a 100g that I just picked up used. I know that this is a nano forum, but some of you seem to have pretty good advice/experience on the larger tanks as well, so here goes...

I just bought a used 100g tenecor (60x18x20) with the simplicityPlus filter system built in for $100. I plan to run this empty (no bio-balls), and may try to create a pseudo refugium in the sump area, but I had a few questions.

I have 5x55w pc lighting on my 50g tank, and I plan to use this on the new tank. I was also thinking of adding 2x175w mh. Do you think this should be pretty sufficient for most anything? I'd considered picking up 250s but would rather not spend the extra cash on bulbs and electricity. Also, I want to try stay away from boiling water!

I'll be using a DSB in this tank. I currently have one in my 50 and was thinking of adding new sand to the bottom of the 100g, and then putting the sand from my current system on the top. What do you think? Any better suggestions? I'm sure I'll think of more later~

i think your lighting would be sufficient enough to cover most corals so you would be good there. adding your sand sounds ok add the new sand but give it a few days to settle good then put the established sand on top. i did that going frome a 38 gall to a 75 and it worked fine

Archived