Pod Your Reef

Plucking Zoo Polyps?

Nic

Anyone know how to safely pluck zoo polyps from a piece of Lr and then how to put them into a new base piece? I just bought a large colony of turqoise zoos and it came on a huge piece of LR that doesn't fit well in my 2.5. Please help.

Thanks

You can try breaking a piece, or chizeling a sliver of that rock off, that's worked for me, but if you've got the patience/control, try using a scalpel/toothpick/whatever to kind of pry them off the rock. this is tough, and zoos are fragile, so be careful.

MiniMasterFlash

I posted a similar question earlier, and Bryan from Logical reef gave a pretty good anwser. Search under fragging, and look for the post I made.

zooz are actually quite durable- i have fregged mine at least a dozen times by cutting them at the base- then superglueing them to a rock- the stubs on the orgional rock will regrow

• 2 weeks later...
Keng Yew, Leong

Guess what happened to mine when I was plucking them out roughly with my fingers.I squeezed till brown juice came out of it and I threw rthem away.

Originally posted by Keng Yew, Leong

Guess what happened to mine when I was plucking them out roughly with my fingers.I squeezed till brown juice came out of it and I threw rthem away.

Be careful doing that, zoos can be quite toxic. Enough to take down a grown man.

I've heard so also. Sp. Palythoa especially. Be very careful not to touch the tentacles, open head or fluids from a zoo.

I think it's best to frag zoos at the rock. A screwdriver and a hammer usually does nicely and any zoos that take damage at the frag line usually recover. I've occasionally put too much pressure on a zoo to have it kind of "pop" but had it recover a few days later.

hth.

-Rogue

Ive squished a few to the point they ooze out the brown stuff but they always recover. Ive even tore the polyp it self in half and it still made it!! Dont throw them away if they get a little squished...X)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
xdevilxbebex

i have a couple of zoos that kinda got squished during transportation .. some of them are dangling from the rock .. should i pluck it off and try to stick it somewhere else or should i just leave it and hope it will grow back :(

Archived