ReefCleaners.org

Tapwater use

Fishiebusiness

Fishiebusiness

My tap water contains 5 ppm silica and .4 ppm nitrates and 120 ppbillion copper, is this safe enough to use for a nano without excessive risk of algae?

reefguru21

I would use a tap conditioner first off to help remove alot of that junk. You might run into some problems with silica no matter how much you have it will always encourage pest algae growth. The water should be safe for your nano, but I would strongly recommend a RO unit or buying RO water a a local grocery store. You can usually get it for $0.40 a gallon.

GOOD LUCK =)

Fishiebusiness

.05 or lower ppm phosphates, 11 ppm chloride, ammonia and nitrites arent on the water report, but undetectable to my test kit.

invest in a good RODI  filter if u are serious about this hobby. Also you can use a PUR ULTIMATE tip tap filter. Available at walmart or any houseware store or even Home depot has a good selection of that stuff.. .they work well, but are only a highgrade resin and carbon filter. I used them fer years and never had any problems til I moved and the water supply was different. .

you couldn't pay me enough to put that much copper into my tank Chemically treated or not. all the chemicals do is lock it up for the time being.

HTH,

Toy

No that is pretty normal for Tap with older plumbing.

However you cant get rid of it ever in a closed system and over time it will build up to invert threatening levels. Weather you like it or not everyone is putting some copper in thier tanks via trace elements/salt mixes etc. in very nominal amounts I would not want to suppliment that with 120 ppb every week.

HTh,

Toy

I have heard of feeding polyps and mushrooms a mixture of frozen brine shrimp and marine cuisine cubes, but you may want to ask around here.

Just a thought.

I feed my whole tank the same thing. I buy small amounts of assorted fresh seafood (I hand chop it but you could use a food processor) with some selcon and Nori and freeze it between two layers of plastic wrap. break off a chunk and thaw it in a cup of tank water and for individule polyps i use a pipette to place the food in the polyp.

I dont use any fish meat as this can be very fatty and breaks down wierd. Stuffn like squid, clams, scallops, shrimp all work well.

HTH,

Toy

printerdown01

Your salt mix itself it probably high in silicon! Anyway, I don't know what levels are acceptable or unacceptable for tap water addition... However, I can tell you that if you live in SF  you are probably just fine using the tap water in your tank (they are known for their tap water purity, and there has even been talks of selling bottled SF tap water!). I live in Benica and San Diego where the water is HORRIBLE! You can even taste the stuff they "purify" the water with!! -NOT A JOKE! most people buy their drinking water in SD (even in my dorms, where we are very poor!)!!

Archived