Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help...Sick Red Legged Crab?

tbeck

Introduced a small red legged crab into the tank 8 days ago. Also added a green crab and test Mollie. Red legged crab is not moving much(laying out in the open for the last three hours). Everything else seems fine. Have hitchhiker anemone (Majano) that the red leg sat on a day or two ago. Could the crab have been stung by the anemone? The crab is still alive but legs are withdrawn.

This is a 25 day old 11 gallon tank. 12 pounds cured live rock. 7 Pounds arognite. All conditions temp, PH, Ammonia, Nitrites/Nitrates have been in line and very stable.

Hmm if he was going to molt I doubt he'd sit in the open like that. Doesn't sound good. I'd do a very small water change and turn the lights off for a while and see if he perks up. FWIW most crustaceans don't seemed harmed by anemones or other stuff with nematocysts, they don't seem to penetrate carapaces as well as soft tissue.

I bought a scarlet hermit, and he acts the same way. He doesn't move much until I shut the lights down. In the morning he'll be in a different place. I thought it would be like the blue legged hermits, but it's not as active.

It was molting. He shed part of his body covering (don't the know the official name) and now seems to be a little more active. thanks for all of your insights and comments.

scarlets are just lazy bastards! maybe yours will work out but i've experienced and heard of many a bum scarlets. nothing bad just not pulling their weight! snails rule, crabs drool!

sorry cmoresh

tg

I think you're right "TG". He is very lazy. On the other hand just got a blue leg (can't remember the official name some Corn or? ... I'm having a senior moment) that is crusing the tank and making a real difference. Works night and day 24/7. My snails (hitchhikers) are still too small to make much of a difference but I am expecting big things from them.

See my other thread about hermits in general section. The ones that seem active and stay busy are terrors (zebra and blue leg IMO). My scarlets are docile and primarily nocturnal but don't really work too hard. They must be union crabs.

Archived