SaltCritters.com

14 fish in a Nanocube - and you thought I was nuts...

mwp

Well, I've been away for a while because the Fish Breeding forum over at Reef Central really seems to be "THE" place if you want to chat with other marine fish breeders.

But, I had to come back and go "na na na na na" to all those folks who think I'm nuts for having 14 fish crammed into one of my nanocubes (and I've now had spawnings on the GBG's, the Bangaiis, the Margaritophorus, the Leptcanthus, and while I moved the mandarins in with our new Seahorse 24 cube, they used to spawn in the 24 cube with all those others too, I just couldn't PROVE it before!)

Enjoy ;)

DSCN1461.jpg

DSCN1466.jpg

DSCN1470.jpg

DSCN1474.jpg

DSCN1475.jpg

DSCN1476.jpg

yes those little blurry dots on the surface are mandarin eggs...

And a vid...shot about mid-way in the photo series above:

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/DSCN1473.MOV

I'm keeping a breeding log going over at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=824111

Just 'cause they say it can't be done, doesn't mean they're right!

MP

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NICE. nice way to shove it int he face of people. i love doing that sometimes. but exactly what kinda fish do you have in your nano?

TheNorthernLight

That's simply awesome!, but COME ON.... you cant leave

us wonder what you have done to your environment to make it so perfect for them.

How do you keep 2 mandarins fed in a 24G ?!?!?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i've had a pair in a 30 tall(10g sump) for 16months now (with alot of other fish) if you take the time to care for these beautiful fish. anythings possible.

everything i've read says never in a small aquarium, and never 2 mandarin (3 is prefered).

dont no how many times i was told they'd be dead in 3 months. like any pet, they just need to be cared for.

that being said, we both know these are "special needs" fish. and you dont want to give 100 inexperianced reefers the wrong idea.

congrates on the new additions!

i've had a pair in a 30 tall(10g sump) for 16months now (with alot of other fish) if you take the time to care for these beautiful fish. anythings possible.

everything i've read says never in a small aquarium, and never 2 mandarin (3 is prefered).

dont no how many times i was told they'd be dead in 3 months. like any pet, they just need to be cared for.

that being said, we both know these are "special needs" fish. and you dont want to give 100 inexperianced reefers the wrong idea.

congrates on the new additions!

well if you set up a way for them to get pellet food, rather than relying on the pod population to feed them sure, you could keep them in a smaller tank... but that's VERY labor intensive.

Why would a dragonet eat pellet food? Pellets and pods are very different food sources. MWP I usually get bent at people who get dragonets for small tanks. It seems like you have done it successfully. Do you breed food for them? I have to think with 14 fish in a 24 gal there are not very many pods left.

Why would a dragonet eat pellet food? Pellets and pods are very different food sources. MWP I usually get bent at people who get dragonets for small tanks. It seems like you have done it successfully. Do you breed food for them? I have to think with 14 fish in a 24 gal there are not very many pods left.

i reference this article by melev on RC

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/nftt/index.php

Fishfreak218

OHHH can we see a full tank shot? and can we see a stocking list... i LOVED your tank way back when you had a thread on it.... i would like to see it now.. after it has matured more

So nice that he posted such simple claims, yet didn't list any of the specifics.

- How often he maintains the water quality.

- If the tank is plumbed into a fuge or even a larger system.

- If the mandarins are trained to eat prepared foods.

It's still pretty "correct" to state that at least 90% of common reefers can't do this, and shouldn't try.

Cool article, but how does he know the pellets are what are keeping the dragonets fat. He says he feeds newly hatched brine every day. With that regiment I see why his dragonets did so well in the smaller tank.

Cool article, but how does he know the pellets are what are keeping the dragonets fat. He says he feeds newly hatched brine every day. With that regiment I see why his dragonets did so well in the smaller tank.

Nope. He said he tried it once but it didn't work out so well so he never did it a second time. The food that was fed was pellet food.

even tried feeding her some newly-hatched brine shrimp, but that really didn't work out so well. I never bothered trying it a second time.

Stop acting like it's impossible.

It's still pretty "correct" to state that at least 90% of common reefers can't do this, and shouldn't try.

Which would explain why this is in Advanced Topics.

Did you read the article?

"Keep in mind that I feed newly-hatched brine to the tank every day, with the pumps off. This allows the smaller fish the opportunity to eat, while the larger fish just wade through the food like whales."

Congrats on the Mandrin spawning, but Lets see some Full tank Shots, all I see is the two mandrins. And I can hardley tell its a nanocube.

Did you read the article?

"Keep in mind that I feed newly-hatched brine to the tank every day, with the pumps off. This allows the smaller fish the opportunity to eat, while the larger fish just wade through the food like whales."

The brine shrimp is a distraction for the big fish to go for the brine, while the mandarins can eat the pellets peacefully. I guess he did this because he mentioned in the article that other fish were trying to get to the pellets like the Naso Tang.

Yea, I wish I had the resources to feed live food everyday. It must be nice. Then I copuld keep a dragonet in my 2.5 gal. Sounds like a good idea "righttt".

Why does no one believe him? This is the same tank with the cardinalfish orgies from a couple months back, if I'm not mistaking. I saw an FTS somewhere... RC, maybe?

Archived