ReefCleaners.org

need new idea 10G

usafresq82

Hey all, I just got back from the Waikiki aquarium and was talking to Charles Delbeek (ya ya I know!! I was pretty excited myself) and he brought to my attention that I can not import live rock or corals into hawaii. From what I've seen no lfs here sell any type of coral or live rock. I can collect live sand but thats it. So I need an idea as to what to do. I guess I could do a FO tank but how to decorate it? I'm assuming that no importation of corals and live rock means I can't order it over the net. Any suggestions at all would be of great help. Thank you.

~usafresq

use tufa and lava, they will eventually develop into very nice LR. heck, a model airplane can develop into a chunk of encrusted reefscape. realistic too! think of those concrete blocks, sunken ships, and subway cars (Maryland) they use to create artificial reefs.

but about the lava/tufa rocks, i wonder if you can sell such aquacultured LR in hawai'i? ??? just how stringent is that rule? i would think you could and then charge a premium (hmmm : ).

maybe you can even import tufa/lava aquacultured LR. there may be a loophole there. the seeds of a black market are spawned.

it'll probably be cheaper and easier for you to aquaculture in hawai'i yourself. you've got the NSW, sun, LS, and the market. hmm, maybe i can still retire there. (i had crossed it off my list because of that @#%#* rule!)

Archived