SaltCritters.com

10 Gallon tank bowing

Kaxter

I just filled my 10 gallon aquarium and i noticed that my 10 gallon aquarium bows on both sides. There is about a 1/5 inch of bowing in the middle of the tank on each of the sides. Is this normal? I am panicing now...should I fear an explosion at the seams?

Thanks,

A newbie reefer with fears...

I just looked at my 10 gallon and there's no bowing. I don't think I've ever seen a 10 gallon bow in the middle just not alot of water. For 9.99 I'd go get a new one and stick a frog in that one:)

I pressed a straight edge ruler across the whole back of the tank, and there is a defenit bow...its not much, but there is a bow. The tank is an AGA glass 10 gallon. Will I be ok or will I be royally screwed?

I think the word they were attempting to use was "anomaly". One extra L. Oops. Oh well. LOL

I just put an artist's t-square on my cheap Wal-Mart 10-gallon tank. There is hardly any noticeable bow. I would estimate it at a 32nd or less of an inch at the very top of the tank.

Have you ever seen very old panes of glass? How they warp light going through them and how they are thicker at the bottom than the top? They weren't alway like that.

I once asked how light (which is made of photons, actual particles) could pass through a solid object with almost no absorption. The answer, glass isn't a solid, it is a solid-like liquid that moves very slowly. Apparently the photons pass through all of the spaces....don't know...just what I was told.

Well gotta say this was news to me.... the bowing I mean. Curious rabbit that I am... I have three ten gallon tanks in the house. My sump being one, straight edge shows no bow at all.

The other two....filled them up, one NO bow whatsoever, the other I can rock the straight edge back and forth across one of the long sides by close to an 1/8" but yet not the other side.

Conclusion... uh dunno, not really one I guess...lol I agree there is alot of flex to glass, maybe it has to do with the assembly process though, as in how well it was siliconed into the framework or whatever, eh? I did have a 55 gallon tank I broke the center brace on once.... Holy jeebus, now THAT was a bow!

Have you ever seen very old panes of glass? How they warp light going through them and how they are thicker at the bottom than the top? They weren't alway like that.

Oh, not to argue with ya there sj, but um, yes they were. The "flowing" glass phenomona is an old-wives tale. It had to do with the original manufacturering process. Actually you can buy glass like this today that is made using the old processes. I have used it quite extensively in restorations of/reproductions of antiques. Glass prior to the 19th century is commonly called crown glass and was made by "spinning" a molten ball of glass till it was flat..um more or less,hehe.

Most glass made during the 19th century is called cylinder glass. A bubble of glass was "swung" instead of spun which created a cylinder... the cylinder was cooled, scored down one side and reheated which then caused it to lay flat, well mostly.

Early 20th century glass was pulled out of kiln then pressed between iron rollers. It wasn't till the 1950's that perfectly flat glass came into being. This involves pouring glass onto a bed of molten tin. A process still used today although improved upon greatly.

Oh and I should say... all these old processes leave their own distinct patterns of distortion.

Next week.... visual clues for determining tempered glass!.....lol

Originally posted by glazer

Next week.... visual clues for determining tempered glass!.....lol

Nice neat little square pieces ALL over if you try to cut it. :D

heehee, Liz you so funny, sharp as a tack too!.... indeed yes that is the first and foremost clue telling you that the glass uh, WAS tempered.... "little squares" hehehe, must have been the "HAHA" face.

Archived