Pod Your Reef

Lighting Upgrade for 30g tall

WhiteRat

Okay, here's a query, folks:

I've been running a PSL hood with 2x55w PC 50/50 10K/true actinics and 1x175W MH 10K for a couple of months now. My tank looks nice under the 50/50s at dawn and dusk, but during the day that 175 is REALLY YELLOW. If I hold a white card flat perpendicular to the side of the tank, it looks dirty yellow-white. The colors of the corals seem to wash out a bit under the 175. (NOT BLEACH, just the lighting is making them seem less colorful due to the yellowing, they look great as soon as the 175 snaps off and leaves the 55s in charge.)

I have seen lots of pics of corals under 20K MH and they have that blue tinge and look super colorful. The 20K is also highly recommended for SPS.

Currently I have only softies in my tank. My plan is to have softies and low-light corals in the shadowy nooks and crannies and the bottom half of the tank, since it's 24" deep and light penetration really falls off fast with depth, and to eventually work my way up to SPS at the top.

What do you SPS people think of the idea of upgrading my current hood to hold 2x175W MH, with the new one being a 20K to counter the yellow of the 10K? Would this be too much light? The tank is 24"H x 24"W x 12" in depth.

Good thing? Bad thing? Too much?

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

Archived