Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help me pick lighting for my 10 gallon soon-to-be reef tank.

RLiu818

Ok, i want to pick good lighting for it and i do not have the time and skill to make my own custom hood so i am going to get a read-out-of-the-box type lighting/hood.

So far i am either going with JBJ Desktop Formosa or something from PetSupplyLiquidator.

Please help me decide which is better, or if you suggest another brand or store that carries a certain type of lighting for a ten gallon please specifiy. Thanks in advance.

i added a poll as well.

That's the 2 lighting outfits that I had settled on too. My tank is a little over a month old now. PSL made me a pretty sweet deal on a 2x27 compact that should fit (coming in tomorrow I hope) my 10g perfectly. For some more money could have gotten the 2x36, but opted not to. If you like, I'll let you know more when it comes in.

Stay away from JBJ...I've had a lot of ballast troubles with my unit. So far 3 ballasts have failed.

I have 2x36w PC from petsupplyliquidators and 1x15w NO on my 15g tall, and the corals are thriving. Go with that. Heck, I'm thinking about adding two more 36w, or maybe a small MH.

I forgot to mention...check out ahsupply.com

they have bright kits, and sell hoods that will fit perfectly on your 10g for a decent price. The service there is great too!

NO = Normal Output.

its the weakest form of fluorescent lighting (and the stuff you usually see in ceiling fixtures)....you get the least intensity from them.

Archived