ReefCleaners.org

Fish I Plan On Getting- Do you see any problems?

Wigguh Noony

Here is a list of the fish I plan on getting for my 125 gallon.

-Firefish..1 maybe 2

-Neon Blue Goby, 2

-Yellow Headed Jawfish,2

-Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 or 2

-Red Head Goby, 1-3

-Flame Hawk

----------------------------

Fish I Currently Have

-3 Blue Devil Damsels

-1 Percula Clown

----------------------------

All the fish I have chose sound easy, are they? Do any of them require anything special?

A few months ago I saw what I think was a red headed goby. It was at my LFS, and it was chilling in barnicles that they had on the bottom of the tank. It was extremly small.. Was it a red headed goby?

Thanks!

The fire fish will fight until you have 1 left. Many gobies of similar life styles are territorial and you may encounter difficulties with some in-fighting.

3 Damsels...ouch!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to start a fire, but I have 2 firefish in my 40G and have no problems with them. Actually they usually sleep in the same hole together, perhaps I got lucky with a mail and female. If it is true about two, fighting until one is dead then I wouldn't put two in and hope for the best. I got lucky despite my ignorance.

technoshaman

My input on what I know about your choices below

-Firefish..1 maybe 2 (nice little fish, can be jumpers if the get chased, damsels will end up harassing them sooner or later)

-Neon Blue Goby, 2 (awesome little fish - excellent cleaners)

-Yellow Headed Jawfish,2 (love em but again DO NOT keep them unless your canopy is sealed like fort knox, they will find a hole to jump out of)

-Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 or 2 ( I have 2, great little fish, lots of personality)

-Red Head Goby, 1-3 (guessing these are like clown gobies? No personal experience on these but some people complain they perch on corals and irritate them)

-Flame Hawk (this will limit keeping other inverts mainly shrimp - great fish but likley will be a shimp killer at some point)

The damsels as you know will be hell on wheels eventually so if you want a peaceful tank pull them out before everything gets settled in.

HTH

The fish you mentioned will probably get beat up by the damsel. If you are planning to keep jawfish, be aware that the gravel should be 5-7 inches deep and the rocks you have have to be put at the bottom of the tank and all the way in the gravel.

technoshaman

Also on jawfish after watching my bluespots this afternoon - they get sand/rock EVERYWHERE. I would not keep them in a reef tank where you have corals on the sandbed - they will get all kinds of stuff on them.

Its good to see your not going all out and getting difficult huge fish right from the start. =)

Like everyone has mentioned the damsels arent a good idea. If you want an easy schooling fish go with chromis or even flasher wrasse. If you can get four females and just let one become a male or if you can find one male. They will school and they look great. If you had MORE experience I would suggest a few anthias. They are a very beautiful fish and are very good towards others but can be a little difficult.

I would also consider maybe one small tang. They are excellent hair algae eaters. One should maintain the tank well. Some are not as good as others yellow, powder blue, and chevron tangs are great, but the later two can be $$$.

Archived