inTank Media Baskets

purchasing live rock

Hawkeye

I've have search my a** off and can't find anything that suggests a good way to purchase good live rock. The LFS that is an hour and one half away has LR but it looks white and dead no coraline or anything on it. Next which OLS do you trust to use, everyone of them tell you they are the best and their shipping is great. How do you know what your getting. If I am to spend $100-$200 Iwant to have excellent looking specimans. The migrains are starting again! Please help !!!

purchasing LR online is a crap shoot, you don't know what you are going to get so as long as you don't have any preconceived notions of what you'll be receiving you'll be okay (life forms good and bad, shape, etc.). i've read great reviews for tampabaysaltwater.com, HarborAquatics.com, and gulf-view.com. you can search vendor feedback here as well for other possible sources (there are many others like palmettoreefs.com). if shape is more important to you than diversity of life you might be better off making the long trip to several LFS and hand picking the pieces, you could then purchase just a few pounds from someone like harbor aquatics for additional seeding. if you don't want to think about it too much just order one of the package plans. it all depends on your personality. just keep an open mind and don't "expect" anything in particular with your rock. good luck.

All the LFS I've dealt with have let me hand pick my LR. I've gone to 3 b/c I wanted a bit of diversity. With only having a 7 gallon nano, It makes a big difference in aquasculpture. I picked the pieces that first fit the spaces in my tank, and second that had lots of life on them. If your going for a small tank like me, I'd recommend hand picking the rock. Remember you can add frags and sand that are also full of a more diverse life.

I sugest hamnd picking from your LFS as well. EVERY time I have gotten rock from Jack's pets and aquariums it has came with hitch hikers of the desirable kind! So far I have gotten two hermitts, 4 nudi branch's, an emerald crab, a decorater crab, one astrea snail, A very nice looking yellow round sponge, and the latest has been a very small banded serpant star fish!!!!!!!

Make sure the rock has been in their at least two or more weeks though if you want minimal die off. Smell it before you buy it too. if it smell's fishy like a real fishy smell. It has went under a major die off and will have nothing on it or in it.

Dont be concerned if a particular piece you want has no coraline or macro algae on it when you buy it. As long as you put at least one rock with the above on it it will spread to the rest in a matter of a couple of months or so.

Thanks to all. I will look at a couple of LFS for some good rock. Hopefully I can get lucky to and get a few hitchhikers. I plan on using about 10# of the following; Fiji, Marshal Island and Tonga shelf. The bed will be 20# LS. Thanks again for all the help.

I can promise you without a doubt if you by even one rock at least 8 inches long with plenty of wholes and miniature caves you will have hitchhikers.

Gulf View rock is awesome and the owner, Dale, will even hand pick pieces according to your needs. I purchased the 30lbs. for $130, which included overnight shipping and I was very impressed overall.

CRG, I've seen their name in allot of threads. Can't be all that bad but I think I will go with the LFS plan for now. It sounds like the better way to go. Thanks!!

OK, now I just found anOLS called HarborAquatics.com. Their rocks look really great. Have any of you out there bought from them, and how was your experience? Thought of maybe getting some but not all the rock I need from here. Appreciate any help!

Archived