inTank Media Baskets

something is wrong with my green flower pot coral

thesaleens7r

thesaleens7r

i bought a 12 gallon nano cube about 2-3 months ago. i wanted to get it up and running quickly so the local fish store gave me some already established bio balls and water that had been running through their coral tank for around 8 6-8 months. i check all my levels daily and keep the water between 1.023 - 1.025 vary's with evaporation. all levels are in perfect condition and my ammonia is 0, PH 8.3, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, alkalinity around 140, so all my levels are good. i have 12-15 pounds of live rock 2 inch base live sand and i upgraded the pump from the 106 to a 225 gph.

i started out with a percula and and after a while i bought a flower pot coral it did very well i placed it up high near the light (24w 10,000K) and it grew larger while in my tank also bought later a green open brain a xeina, sebay anemoni, angel fish, and a damel. along with 3 hermit crabs 3 snails and 2 conchs. the tank was doing very well until lately i bought a toadstool leather coral and put it the cube. instantly my flower pot coral pulled its tenticals in and has not puffed up like it used to barely even commin out and only for a short while. today was day 4 and it wasnt doing any better so i removed it. i took it to the fish store and put it in there tank under better light.

was this a good move? anyone know what happend to it. will it recover? and can i put it back in.

thanks jeff

p.s i want to add more to my tank any good ideas

this is a picture of what it used to look like

it doesnt look like there is anything wrong with it, it just doesnt come out anymorepost-19848-1144794855_thumb.jpgpost-19848-1144794931_thumb.jpgpost-19848-1144794961_thumb.jpgpost-19848-1144795110_thumb.jpgpost-19848-1144795166_thumb.jpgpost-19848-1144897249_thumb.jpg

thesaleens7r
It sounds like the new leather was stressed and release toxic stuff in your water...make sure you are running carbon...

it did release some kind of slime, i read that they do this to rid them selves of bacteria and alge, do u think it was a bad idea to take it out after 4 or 5 days

cinnamongirl

Do I see your clown hosting in the flowerpot in one of those pictures? Is this something new? Because that might be the cause of it not wanting to fully extend. I had the same problem a few months back with my true perc pair and a goniopora. Out of the blue, they decided to move from hosting in my torch to hosting in my goni, and the goni was not pleased! It opened about half way for 2-3 weeks until it finally got used to the clowns. Now it's as fully extended as ever!

Vickie

thesaleens7r

hey vicki

no this is not new and the flower pot is used to the percula at first it would go back inside when the percula would swim through but now it stays fully open ( or used to atleast) they seem to like eachother

snowlancer2720

wellcome to Nano-Reef!

goniopora are pretty tempermental (i think thats the right word) mine got kinda wierd when i added my green star polyps...it should come back....they are not te easiest coral to keep though, which i learned after they sold it to me... <_<

cinnamongirl
hey vicki

no this is not new and the flower pot is used to the percula at first it would go back inside when the percula would swim through but now it stays fully open ( or used to atleast) they seem to like eachother

Ok, that's good to know :D

Not wanting to be the "Angel police" here, but you do know that your tank is way to small to keep a Koran happy for long right?

Even a juvenille needs room to swim and feed and adults can top 12 inches.

I love flowerpot corals, I have heard that they are one of the harder spceies to keep. Hope yours does well.

Flowerpot corals are one of the corals, when wild collected, tends to do well at first and even shows new growth, but will typically decline & die after a few months.

Sad but true

In your case though, I would think adding carbon & doing water changes to help remove toxins released by the toadstool leather would help the flowerpot recover for the time being.

Flowerpot corals are one of the corals, when wild collected, tends to do well at first and even shows new growth, but will typically decline & die after a few months.

Sad but true

In your case though, I would think adding carbon & doing water changes to help remove toxins released by the toadstool leather would help the flowerpot recover for the time being.

I had that happen, when i bought it i was new to the hobby, and it had its polyps out i thought it was a zoo colony, it did well for about half a year, even doubled in mass but then it just started withering away in a matter of just a week or two :(.

One of the LFS guys however has managed long term success with them but he never told me how that bastard :glare:

Some souces point to that the Alveopora variety like low flow low light and nutrient rich water, the LFS however was keeping them in high flow and MH lighting, but what else i have no idea, but they were indeed very pale/bleached compared to whay mine was when it lived

post-13319-1144881598_thumb.jpg

Not wanting to be the "Angel police" here, but you do know that your tank is way to small to keep a Koran happy for long right?

Even a juvenille needs room to swim and feed and adults can top 12 inches.

it takes a long time for a koran to grow.lets just say that he still can keep it.for another 6months or so.period.

thesaleens7r
it takes a long time for a koran to grow.lets just say that he still can keep it.for another 6months or so.period.

thats what they told me at the store when i bought him. i convinced a good friend of mine to buy a tank. he just ordered last week a 55 gallon which should be good and set up by the time mine needs to find a new home. this way i will be able to see it still.

nice koran angel there.

thank you i couldnt resist when i saw him.

Archived