Innovative Marine Aquariums

Newbie Pico

Dave_uk

Hi all,

I have been keeping saltwater tanks for several years but this is my first potential attempt at anything smaller than 10 Gal so please bear with me if I ask stupid questions.

My work have agreed for me to have a very small aquarium on my desk and I bought the tank below from ebay. Its a 3 litre acrylic aquarium with a "picture frame" front. The tank itself is just a standard acrylic box with an acrylic panel for a lid.

uma2.jpg

I was going to use the tank to house a Siamese Fighter but after spending many hours on this forum looking at some amazing little tanks I decided I would try it as a saltwater tank instead.

Setup: I want a very simple setup which will require as little maintenance as possible and would appreciate any advice/suggestions. Is it possible to just use LR and a small powerhead only for filtration? Can I get away with not using a skimmer?

Livestock: Obviously I wont be keeping any fish in a tank this small and I dont want a full reef but I would like to be able to keep something easy like a couple of shrooms and maybe a crab or 2. Any suggestions?

Lighting: I have read a few threads about DIY LED lighting but I would rather use someting out of the box.. would a couple of the commerially available LED aquarium lights provide enough light to keep some shrooms happy?

Many Thanks in advance

Dave

Looks like it could be a nice tank. If you can get a HOB filter like the AC20 it could provide flow and filtration. With a small tank be sure to do weekly water changes and if you can work up some sort of drip ATO it will help keep the SG stable. At least for when you're not there to manually top it off. What lighting are you looking at? I'd probably look for something along a 20w 50/50.

Archived