ReefCleaners.org

Reef safe way to fight ich

wwildcats04

it doesn't work

Yes it does. Has cured a couple of my reef tanks before. I know a few other people that have had good results with it also.

• 3 weeks later...
ltzryder21

Wow! What a funny thread! LMAO!!! "use a UV sterilizer"...."no, that doesn't work!" "Try FW dips!"..........."FW dips don't work!" How about Kick ich"......"not reef safe"...."I used kick ich and it worked fine!" Seems like no body knows what the F their talking about! Everyone contradicts eachothers opinions! I'm no pro, but a good idea would be to go to the fish store and ask them! Wow, I'm a genious!!! :lol::lol::lol: I used Tide w/bleach! Everything died, EVEN THE ICK!!! LMAO!!! Try Round Up!

Wow! What a funny thread! LMAO!!! "use a UV sterilizer"...."no, that doesn't work!" "Try FW dips!"..........."FW dips don't work!" How about Kick ich"......"not reef safe"...."I used kick ich and it worked fine!" Seems like no body knows what the F their talking about! I'm no pro, but a good idea would be to go to the fish store and ask them! Wow, I'm a genious!!! :lol::lol::lol: I used Tide w/bleach! Everything died, EVEN THE ICK!!! LMAO!!! Try Round Up!

how about not.

try a different cleaner shrimp. if you want TRUE reef safe, I wouldn't use any chemicals or additives.

nanocurious

Kent's Garlic Extreme! it is a mixture of concentrated Garlic and ascorbic acid (vitamin C). It helps boost the immune system of the fish, so that it can fight the infection. Also, since it is 100% natural you can dose it right in your display tank! I have used it twice with great results.

andiruleu
Wow! What a funny thread! LMAO!!! "use a UV sterilizer"...."no, that doesn't work!" "Try FW dips!"..........."FW dips don't work!" How about Kick ich"......"not reef safe"...."I used kick ich and it worked fine!" Seems like no body knows what the F their talking about! Everyone contradicts eachothers opinions! I'm no pro, but a good idea would be to go to the fish store and ask them! Wow, I'm a genious!!! :lol::lol::lol: I used Tide w/bleach! Everything died, EVEN THE ICK!!! LMAO!!! Try Round Up!

you shouldnt have talked at all... yes your right... you are not a pro, so just keep the comments to yourself.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Best practices are as follows:

1. What is your budget to fight the infection? If you don't have the budget for a UV unit or Ozone, then these options are out. And you could rely on a affordable shrimp or garlic additives for your food.

2. Reef Safe meds are very expensive if you have a medium to large volume tank so if you have a nano, the smaller bottle might work. But then again these meds are hit or miss.

3. FW dips, you have to have time on your side to fish them out, QT tank ready with all parameters ready 100% for the dip. Then their is no guarantee as you return him to display tank that ich doesn't reappear.

4. Is doing nothing more than reading about all the options but following none. This hobby is about what budget you are in for maintaining the well being of your fish and critters.

I'm a strong advocate of UV and Ozone units; I use both in my system and have demonstrated erradication of ich in a single reef tank.

I could continue to bat this ball to one hundred reefers on this board but if they have nano tanks I would be batting a ball to an infant as they are not going to be able to fit such a device in such a small corridor.

They are also a lot of novice reefers that don't have the money to drop for one of these said units; I know because a long long time ago I was one....

Nuff said.

MG

SpencerShepard

just a quick word about Kick-Ich. i started using the heavy dose when no more than 10 spots showed up on my royal gramma 3 weeks ago. i have one blue damsel left out of 6 fish. it also damaged my alveopora coral. i'm getting a UV sterilizer...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
just a quick word about Kick-Ich. i started using the heavy dose when no more than 10 spots showed up on my royal gramma 3 weeks ago. i have one blue damsel left out of 6 fish. it also damaged my alveopora coral. i'm getting a UV sterilizer...

Genix,

Sorry you lost all but one fish to ich; I know what that is like. Kick-ich, is a hit and miss med and depending on when it was introduced into your reef, didn't fight the infection to the standards your wanted.

I have used a similar product No-ich with both positive and negative effects. It did help me once through an ich outbreak, but on a second run it failed.

It also killed all of my pods that were in my tank since it targets everything in the tank.

Some how it has an ingredient agent in it that is very similar to fighting off yeast infections in women; very powerful. So in the reef tank it's destroying a phase in the cycle of the parasite ich.

I believe the second wave was ineffective due to perhaps a resistance to the meds or it ran it's halflife and was no longer potent as the second batch of ich launched into the reef; there is no resistance against them.

With a UV unit, they don't have a choice in halflife of the medication. They are in given time going to be subjected to a deadly light that disrupts cellular activity at the DNA level.

This means that as the protozoa or parasite pass through the UV unit it will no longer be able to breed and will die.

Since we operate these UV units 24/7 in a closed loop environment, these parasites in time are doomed. Where once they flourished in closed environments and mulitplied in the hundreds and destroyed all of our fish, they are doomed in this now death sentance.

That is why it's so important to run UV in closed environment tank; so it can maximize it's effects on the parasite.

Our systems have a certain turn over rate that is best explained by Volume of water divided by total GPH movement of your reef.

An example is 72 gallons of water with 3175 gph gives me 44x turn over. That means that the parasite given each passing day is being subject to a deadly exposure to UV.

Imagine running Kick ich constantly 24/7 until the ich is destroyed, since these nasty parasites come in waves, running the meds for a month would eventually destroy the majority of them.

But imagine the bill to run these meds for a month? You'd be cheaper in the long run getting a UV.

I hope this info gave you some more insight on UV units and there efficacy in the reef tank....

MG

wwildcats04

I had the problem and started the thread a long time ago but I just wanted to touch base, I did use the product NO-ICH and it did work, thank you every one for your help and Mike when I get my new tank all set up and have nothing else to spend my $ on I will be purchasing a UV unit... how often do you change your bulb and how often do you run it?

I used kent marine's coral vite on my display tank for the first time when I had ich and after a week all the ich went away and I've been ich free for about 6 weeks now.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I had the problem and started the thread a long time ago but I just wanted to touch base, I did use the product NO-ICH and it did work, thank you every one for your help and Mike when I get my new tank all set up and have nothing else to spend my $ on I will be purchasing a UV unit... how often do you change your bulb and how often do you run it?

I haven't owned the UV unit for more than 3 months but I've been told that you should replace the bulb once per year...

I leave it on 24/7 and my fish are doing great and I haven't seen any ill effects on my corals and I have a mix of LPS and SPS...

MG

Yes it does. Has cured a couple of my reef tanks before. I know a few other people that have had good results with it also.

You can think what you want but it doesnt make it work.

until you remove the fish and treat them your system has ich.

no amount of feeding ur fish garlic is going to get rid of ich. will it help keep the fish healthy? sure its garlic. but i woudl feed beta glucan over garlic its better at what it does then garlic.

my take on UV. imo work but just not well enough to completely kill ich. ich can lach on to a fish before it gets taken to in by the UV pump. imo will not completely kill it but will and can control it effectly just not ellimate it. i would not run these systtems do to that false sense of security. uv is not easy to setup correctly and in more cases changes the mentality of the owners to a point that isn't healthy. people think they dont need to QT i have UV. its just bad practice.

what you need to do is take the fish out of the system and treat them seperatly, or let the fish build up a tolerance to it and not add another fish to the system.

brent-konieczny

I used rid-ich also. It took like a week or so and only slightly irritated my corals. I would highly recommend it to help a stressed fish recover.

Archived