Pod Your Reef

ISO Very small 115v fan for nano hood

Carinya

I already purchsed a 13w PC retrofit but my Eclipse 3 is running at pretty high temps (79-80-ish) without the upgrade installed yet.  I have looked & looked for some kind of computer fan that can be mounted into the side of the very small plastic canopy but have not been able to come up with anything.  There are a ton of laptop-sized cooling fans out there but none run on 115 volts as far as I have been able to tell.

Anyone have a source for these or another suggestion?

Am really reluctant to go ahead with the light upgrade for fear of how high the temps would go.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Carinya

NanoReefer53

the 115v ones are pretty big and are high cfm. I have one that's 4in and pushing 85cfm. The smaller ones are normally 12v so you'll probably need to buy an adapter. Also, you can create vent holes at the top of the eclipse hood to let some of the heat out.

check with yer local GRAINGER supply or hit www.google.com  and look up Grainger supply. they have tons of fans and electrical stuff. Also Home cheepo-Depot might have some small fans. I have a few Daytons fans and they all run on ac. You could also get a DC transformer and put in small "capsella" (the toys from the 80"s) or Radio Controll hobby fans or airplane propellers....lol I just leave the top off  at night and the temp dropps a few degrees "as a natural thermaldyne effect." with no adverse effects on a few of my small reefs. good luck  :rollwink:

quiksilver5768

haha nicely put Dave. Yes indeed, Home cheepo Depot has many different fans and transformers you can use. Also radio shack has some small fans. You could go to like CompUSA and get a small processing cooling fan and remove the heat sink. Then all you would need is a transformer from HD and your set. Those cpu fans are only about 1.5-2" by the way. Well actually that depends on the type but most are around that size...

I am using a computer fan right now that is run on 12 volt.  I didnt have any 12v stuff laying around so I got an old cordless phone power line (which was 9 volt) cut it in half and wired it to the fan.  I'm sure you have something 9 volt laying around.  Just hook that up it might not blow as hard as the 12v but it is probably much cheaper than going to radio shack and buying the 12v setup.  

Radioshak has 1.5 inch 115V AC fans that have sealed bearings and come with a nice mounting bracket. they are buko bucks though $22.95

GOTO AXMAN they got the same ones for $4.00

HTH,

Toy

79-80 degrees isnt all that hot. mine stays at 82 and is fine...i need to lower it a few degrees though maybe down to 79 or 80. once i get a fan it will be no problem.

Thank you so much everyone.

I will check the sources suggested.  I had also not considered using one of the various 9v plugs we have around here on a 12v fan.  So far the radio shack 1.5" fan sounds like the best option even though it's expensive.  I'm not sure what AXMAN is but I'll go look for it.  Hopefully it won't be that loud if it is mounted securely (*fingers crossed there*)

I know 79-80 isn't that hot but this is my temp with the itty bitty Eclipse flourescent lights.  I am sure it'll go up a lot higher when I put in the PCs...perhaps too high.  I'm just trying to be safe & have a plan before I put the lights in.

Once again thanks to everyone.

Carinya

Another possible solution, for a cheap fan, is to buy a cpu coolng kit (usually about $5.00 online, I buy from compgeeks.com), and remove the fan from the heat sink.

Jason

Axman Surplus Stores:

Don't know if they are everywhere but you gotta have a surplus store in your area even if its not axman. My God the stuff they have there to assimilate into the greater Reef collective is outstanding. Acryllic sheets for $1.00 silicone for $.50, pumps, float switches, Tubing, fans, beakers, testubes,Pipettes,Power supplies, everything but tanks!

Good luck finding one in your area you won't believe how much stuff there is for us Cheapskates.

Toy

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this to the top so someone with a similar question can see the helpful replies I received.

Thanks again, everyone.

C

Archived