Innovative Marine Aquariums

Stand Idea, Will this work?

Foogoo

Excuse my my non-existant CAD skills but this is my plan for a very simple stand for my 20L. Four legs are roughly 3"x2" holding a simple rectangular frame of say 1"x1/2" or so attached by screws. Anyone see any problems with this or can suggest something else? Thanks.

Since the tank fully loaded with sand, rock, and water will weigh in the neighborhood of 200lbs or so......ya might want to beef this up a bit.

I wouldn't want to wake up to a flood one morning...... :o

uh, NO.... (elaborate? shaddup and post? elaborate? shaddup and.....)

Foo, a simple frame and leg design can work, but your frame lumber is not going to work, too small, that's not even the dimensions of 1x2 lumber(which is 3/4" thick and 1 1/2" wide).

Your leg size is do-able but marginal at best even if tied into your framework properly. I don't know what your carpentry skills are.. and don't be offended but I'm going to say minimal based on the simplicity of design. You are going to have to beef everything up and if you don't want to attempt any joinery work where your frame connects with the legs I would suggest carriage bolts(flat head bolt with nuts on the other side) as opposed to using screws.

glazer is right.........................or if you really like your design, then a steel welded frame would work. if you live by the sanfernado valley, i can weld you one up in a jiffy. in exchange for frags and such........

Some people eat a 2 lb. T-Bone on a paper plate. It can work, if everything is perfect.

Because your aquarium will be filled with water, it will have some movement, and shifting load. Just you getting into the tank for adjustments, could collapse a stand that you have in mind.

Another "Red Part" Half way down and joined properly as Glazer says, should be OK. A strong, solid back and/or diagonal bracing would also be a good addition. Even my limited experience with SW has proven a storage area near the tank is a great feature.

I friend of mine build a stand out of 2x4s and used it for a year before adding a plywood shell and some finish work. His stand is easily as strong and eventually as nice looking as anything you could buy.

• 1 month later...

I made a stand for my 29g Cichlid tank using 2x4's, some plywood and rigid pipe with base plates. I don't have a digital camera so I'll try to attach a drawing.

Here is my quick cheap DIY stand I did a couple of nights ago. Took less than an hour to build and cost about 6 bucks (I already had the screws) It is very sturdy and doesn't look too crappy. I put the legs on like that so I can add a shelf to the bottom for a 10 or 20 gallon fuge later on.

Archived