Coral Vue Hydros

Plans for a new tank.

technoshaman

This might sound like an odd footprint but am looking at a new primary tank , cube, about 36x36x36. This would give me around 200 gallons. Was thinking of doing a central overflow and pile rockwork around that. Thinking lighting might be an issue if I want to keep clams or sps with the depth so was looking at maybe 2x 175 Mhs probably 6500k and a pair of actinics. I originally was going to get it made 36x36x24 but the guy who is making it tells me that the cel cast sheet he woudl buy comes in 36" squares and I might as well use it.

Second issue I can already see is height. At 3 feet and if I want enough room for a nice stand am going to be at like 6 feet with tank and maybe 7 with canopy. I'm 6-4 but that seems a bit tall and hard to work on, although I am thinking it would look awesome. As for bracing he said he could put a 6" edge around the inside top and I wouldn't need a center cross brace - any thoughts on that? Also I was going with 1/2" acrylic originally and the builder is telling me with that height 3/4" is better, maybe overbuilt some but much less risk of bowing with the high tank.

Was planning on the tank with a 50 gallon or so sump and maybe 30 gallon fuge under tank. Another thing is circulation with the open area around center I guess I could stick the powerheads / returns on the overflow box in center and hid it with rockwork?

Just asking for how you crazy DIYers would do this. I'm building the stand and probably the canopy and am trying to finalize ideas on this monster. Feedback appreciated. I'll post a drawing once I can scan it in.

hmm. that's a hell of a tall tank, i don't know if those 175s would have enough punch, maybe some 400s? 36 inches is VERY deep, just measure that, its TALL.

Ok, this is too funny. I have a 60 (24") cube and I was thinking of going bigger...so i did some research. (yeah, yeah, you guys all must realize by now that I have a basement full of aquariums..)

In planning, I called up the glass company for quotes on 1" plate glass. They are cutting me a huge deal on some since I tend to buy a bit... I also am getting the All-Glass Aquarium Trim for the tank from the company that makes it all...since both companies are here in milwaukee. The company, Elgen Molded Plastic, is giving me the trim for free if I come pick it up. (Ill just weld it together with GE Silicone Epoxy). Sump wise, it sounds like you want to be able to see it from all sides. I am going to just have a back overflow, as I didnt want to comprimise the battom of such a deep tank, let alone right in the middle. Lighting is easy. I will use a 400w MH. Thats it. It really is all you need. Remember, it isnt always watts per gallon, but making sure the things that need light, get it. Just as it wouldn't make any sense to have thousands of watts over a fishtank, and then put your clams in a cave...the opposite holds true. I have a friend who has been running a 150g reef for 6 years now off of 2 175w MH. Thats it. But the pendants focus the light...so he puts the stony corals and clams right under the light...and the less needy corals off to the sides. Sure, in his case he has only 2.2 watts per gallon..but it is all that is needed. Likewise, if you wanted 10 watts/g, and only had a 1 gallon, do you really think 10 watts would be enough to grow stony corals?? No, 10 watts is just ten watts. I pretty much intend this cube tank to be built around the lighting. I have the 400watt reefsun over my 60cube right now, and notice alot of extra light. 400 watt MH is the perfect power for a 36" deep tank. It may only be 2 watts per gallon, but a 400w MH will reach the bottom with intensity to spare...and disperse to cover a square yard when gets there. But 175 watters wont reach far enough. For a 36" deep tank you want at least 250 wattMH, and 400 would be the best.

As for a stand, I wouldn't go higher than 18", maybe 24". Heifht is an issue. This means any sump of fuge will have to go behind or on the side...or even remote...

The stand will be all 2x4's, overbuilt every bit of the way. Maybe even 6x6's in the corners. I wont have a hood. I like the open top, and the reefsun kind of looks better like this. Hope that gives you some ideas.

So I guess I am not only person who's thought about this. Yeah I was kind of worried about the bottom of the tank with a center overflow but am thinking using acrylic vs glass would be less of an issue. Also if I did not have it in the center like you said I could get away with one high wattage MH and a few VHOs or PCs for supplementation. The more I think about it a cube veiwable on 3 sides might not be bad wither then I could put the fuge behind and slightly above to gravity feed back into tank and have most of the room under tank for a sump. Also using the back for overflow and not viewable I could put in a closed loop for circulation and not have to rely on powerheads so much. Lots to consider.

You must like your cube if you're getting a bigger one made. I like the idea of having a large sandbed plus lots of room for aquascaping and the flexibility for lots of swimming room. The center column idea was the let fish swim around it having a large circular area. With that much area I'm thinking there is a lot I can do.

So you think 400 MH will punch down to bottom pretty well? This is going to be mostly lps with a few sps near top and of course some zoos and the odd leather towards bottom. Single central 400w sounds like a good idea I'm going to redesign my canopy to see how that would work space wise.

Yeah, for what you said, a single 400 watt will do fine. In fact, if you plan on using a deep sand bed, your depth will be less than 36", so 400 watts will be enough for clams on the bottom prolly.

I like the cube, but it isnt for swimming room. Really, a normal tank would do better for this, a long run, heck a 30Breeder has as much straight swim room as a 36" cube. I like it because unlike a more 'show' profile tank, like the 80XL I just took down, it is more of a centerpiece, like a sculpture on a pedistal, not a painting on a wall, because of the proportions. Besides the 36" cube I also considered a 24"x24"x36" high 90gallon for the same effect. But the cube has a more forboding appearance with all of it's depth of field when you look at it.

As fort the center overflow, yeah, it is a good idea, but it can be limiting. It means you will have to have your aquascaping around the center. If you ever want to change it...well, you cant really, eh? I like making a mountain that leans abainst one side. It is almost the whole tank at the base, and slopes toward one side. That way, I can still see the fish from the side...something I could not do if the mountain was in the middle. With side overflows I can do any rock formation I want. But if you want to be able to see the tank from all sides, that would be impossible.

As for a canopy, you know you can get the reefsun 400w fixture for under $300. I would not put such a hot and large bulb in a canopy however. I prefer suspending it. That way I dont need a noisy fan, nor a bulky canopy. I just have an open top. Your pref, but I thought you might like to consider it. I use a 10,000K bulb in it, and it works fine, no supplimental actinic necessary.

Archived